Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (18 Oct 2017) 36 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Oct 18, 2017, 10:45:24 PM10/18/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 18, 2017
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture000
Turkey Vulture10251258
Osprey045212
Bald Eagle153131
Northern Harrier11963
Sharp-shinned Hawk153381070
Cooper's Hawk343115
Northern Goshawk188
Red-shouldered Hawk23651
Broad-winged Hawk0268744
Red-tailed Hawk17177
Rough-legged Hawk011
Golden Eagle122
American Kestrel151159
Merlin02491
Peregrine Falcon03555
Unknown Accipiter013
Unknown Buteo024
Unknown Falcon033
Unknown Eagle011
Unknown Raptor01239
Total:36102211087

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours
Official CounterKatrina Fenton
Observers: Nancy Moreau, Tom Baillio

Visitors:
One hundred students and a few teachers from Manchester South stopped by on their way to an al fresco luncheon at the summit. The warm weather and promise of autumn colors and migrants brought an additional 113 hikers, leaf-peepers, and raptor enthusiasts to the count site over the course of the day.

Weather:
The wind was whipping out of the west at 20-25mph to start the day. Over the next few hours, it dropped to a more manageable 8-12mph and shifted to points just north, then south of west. The temperature made a run at 70F after beginning in the mid-40s. A few con-trails and snowy streaks of cirrus provided a hint of contrast in a few tiny sections of the vast expanse of unforgiving blue.

Raptor Observations:
All eyes were on a Northern Goshawk spinning lazy circles overhead when another bird crossed the field of view, higher and much farther away. The Golden Eagle barely flexed its wings as it continued its steady glide far past the ridge and beyond the southern flank of Monadnock.

Non-raptor Observations:
The familiar pattern of orange and black seemed to be missing from one of the day's Monarch Butterflies. A closer inspection showed that the color had collected in a band around the edges of the inky wings, and the Mourning Cloak was no longer a victim of mistaken identity. Non-raptor Migrants: Blue Jay- 6 Yellow-rumped Warbler- 1 Monarch Butterfly- 4

Predictions:
There's a chance of fog forming overnight, which will hopefully burn off in time for the count to start when it's supposed to. A 15-25mph SW wind will increase in strength through the afternoon and might keep all but the strongest flyers from migrating at a hight where they can be seen. The temperature is expected to rise into the 60s and there should be a few more clouds gracing the sky than we've seen the last two days.

Report submitted by Katrina Fenton (gosk...@comcast.net)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.nhaudubon.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]

Carolyn Payzant

Oct 23, 2017, 5:33:58 PM10/23/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I have had my first flock of juncos for the season.  I assume they are migrating further south.

Carolyn