Nelson/Saltmarsh type sparrow, Woodmont Orchard, Hollis, NH

Christopher McPherson

Oct 15, 2017, 6:51:21 PM10/15/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I almost drove off the road today when I received an email from Sharon Harvell (a local Brookline/Hollis birder I run into occasionally), her email indicated she had located a saltmarsh type Ammodramus sparrow in the orchard, the email included photos.  I wasn't very far away so I headed back to the orchard for a look.  Thankfully I was able to relocate the bird but I wasn't as fortunate as Sharon and I was unable to get good photos.

Best directions I can give is to park near the red buildings (west orchard which is south of Rte. 122) and head up hill towards the pumpkin field on the main farm road, once you pass the apple trees on your left (pumpkin field at your feet) look to your left.  the tall grass on the left framed by the trail just above the apple trees and just below the peach trees is where the yellowish LBJ was.  I had the bird just off the main trail walking up-hill towards the peach trees.

Could this be sparrow number 16 for Woodmont Orchard?

 Great find Sharon!

Chris McPherson
Brookline, NH