Crossbill searching (Trudeau Road & Pondicherry Mud Pond)

Tim Spahr

Oct 18, 2017, 8:39:28 PM10/18/17
to NHBirds
Hi Birders,

I poked around Trudeau Road, and also the Mud Pond Platform and Pondicherry today looking for crossbills.  I struck out at Mud Pond but managed Types 1 and 10 in a single flock along Trudeau Road.  The wind, and all the traffic, made things difficult there.  The eBird checklist below has a truly terrible recording of the crossbills.

It looked to my untrained eye like the spruce cone crop was aging and the white pine cones were open.  The volume of cones on the white pines is just mind blowing.  And given how much of that is around the state, I suspect our crossbill friends have plenty to eat right now.

good birding

Tim Spahr