268 Nighthawks tonight

Brian Reilly

Aug 27, 2016, 8:09:45 PM8/27/16
to nhbirds
Again, I live in Keene along the Ashuelot River just south of Bretwood Golf Course. Between 6:45 and 7:15 tonight I counted 268 Nighthawks all moving from north to south. I’m sure I missed birds as I was distracted intermittently by chores I was doing in the backyard.
Last evening (Friday) I saw large groupings of Nighthawks, up to approximately 75 in a group, flying over the house but not consistently coming over from the north. Many seemed to arrive from the east or west and occasionally birds seemed to be flying north. Because of the many directions of flight I really could not guess at a total that would be meaningful in any way.

Brian Reilly
Keene