Red-shouldered Hawks - New London

jackso...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2016, 8:51:31 PM7/22/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I spent my morning working at a residence on Pleasant Lake in New London and when I first arrived I was greeted by the calls of a Red-shouldered Hawk. As I looked on towards where the calls were coming from I watched the bird fly from its perch and pass overhead. I could see this bird was a juvenile from its pale breast with dark vertical streaking. It moved on to the east where it continued calling. Shortly after I could hear another Red-shouldered calling from deeper in the woods to the east.

This species has always been a tough find for me in NH and I usually only come across them during migration. Its an even more seldom sight for me in my stomping grounds. I assume this is an active breeding area making this find all the more exciting.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone