Arctic Tern - Hampton Harbor

Kyle Wilmarth

Jun 27, 2015, 9:15:02 PM6/27/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
This afternoon Amanda and I took a paddle in Hampton Harbor and were very surprised to find an ARCTIC TERN among Common Terns roosting on the flats.  The 'blood red' bill was evident as were the short legs, especially when standing next to the Commons.

A few photos can be found here: https://flic.kr/p/vhh4HM // https://flic.kr/p/ukm18R // https://flic.kr/p/vhtPwn

Other highlights included:
Laughing Gull - 2
Bonaparte's Gull - 6, https://flic.kr/p/veF2WJ
Roseate Tern - 1
Common Tern - 20~
Purple Martin - flyover
Piping Plover - 1
Willet - 3
Osprey - with a transmitter on its back, carrying a nice fish

Amanda Altena & Kyle Wilmarth
Salem, NH

Christian Martin

Jun 28, 2015, 8:31:56 AM6/28/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, kyle.w...@gmail.com
The osprey with a transmitter that Kyle and Amanda saw in Hampton Harbor is almost certainly "Staddler," an adult male from a nest located east of Cross Beach Road in Seabrook.  He was captured less than 6 weeks ago and fitted with a transmitter by Dr. Rob Bierregaard, Iain MacLeod, local Hampton resident Dave Weber, and me as part of the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center's Project OspreyTrack.

More info about this bird and his movements available at:
http://www.nhnature.org/programs/project_ospreytrack/osprey_mapSTADDLER.php.

A more general description about this study of ospreys in the Seacoast area's salt marshes can be found in NHFG's Wildlife Journal magazine:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/pubs/documents/samples/ospreys.pdf

- Chris

Chris Martin
Senior Biologist, NH Audubon

cma...@nhaudubon.org

84 Silk Farm Road, Concord, NH 03301
603/224-9909, ext. 317 (office)
603/226-0902 (fax)

www.nhaudubon.org

New Hampshire Audubon - Protecting New Hampshire's natural environment for wildlife and for people.