Coastal Highlights

jackso...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2015, 8:31:51 PM11/28/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Despite the undesirable weather I made what might be my final trip to the coast this year in hopes of finding a few more birds to add to my year list. I was joined by Scott Heron where we spent all our time together in Massachusetts. We found the Tufted Duck at Johnson's Pond in Groveland (with some help from some other birders) and came up empty handed on a Redhead (a bird that continues to elude me!).
Later, we returned to NH where we then parted ways. From there I stopped by the Exeter WWTP where I was welcomed by... Well, not much. Things were quiet here, only producing one Greater Scaup hen that threw me for a loop because of the lack of white around the base of the bill. As hard as I tried I couldn't make it a Redhead.

From there I stopped by Seabrook to see the Glaucous Gull at the Yankee Fisherman's Coop.

From there I worked my way up to Rye Harbor SP where I finally tracked down my FOY Purple Sandpipers (better late than never.)
I also saw a familiar sight while I was here. I remember someone reported a strange Common Eider here a little while ago. I believe I found this same (or a similar) Eider just outside the harbor showing two white bars on the wing.

Despite the bad weather and my aspirations of finding a Redhead, it wasn't a complete let down. A lifer Tufted Duck and the addition of a Purple Sandpiper is always welcome.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone