Nighthawks and Kill-fawns? Sunapee

Dylan Jackson

May 26, 2015, 8:45:53 PM5/26/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Today I worked late to make up for the time I missed by taking Memorial Day off (imagine that, I don't get paid holidays). I got back to my business' shop along Route 11 in Sunapee between downtown Sunapee and Georges Mills at around 5:50pm. As I got out of the truck and began unloading equipment, I heard the unmistakable "peent!" of an overhead passing Nighthawk. I scanned the sky but didn't see anything when I heard a second "peent!" I again looked up and saw a high flying Nighthawk passing over moving north. Later, after I got home and showered I set back out to take advantage of the last light of the day. I went down Trask Brook Rd (a regular spring and fall Nighthawk spot) just after 7:00pm. No Nighthawks to be had but as I made my way out I heard the call of a Killdeer. I drove by slowly to locate the bird and I did so and too my delight she was accompanied by three (rather adorable) young. They were just behind the cow fence along Route 103. As I pulled up along side they all went still but then mom started calling and all three came in and tucked under her as she sat down to conceal them. Very cool sighting.
I left that area and stopped along the Sugar River across from the Sunapee WWTP. Wasn't anything around to rave about. Some Cedar Waxwings were around (which have been absent at least for me for the last few months). A mother Mallard and her eight chicks were swimming about. Before I left the spot I noticed a high-flying bird. I drew my binoculars and could see another Nighthawk, then eventually found two more. These birds were very high so I couldn't hear them vocalize (if they were). Always a joy to see these "goatsuckers." Definitely one of my favorites.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone