Mt Starr King & Mt Waumbek 6/18

Kyle Wilmarth

Jun 20, 2016, 10:07:02 AM6/20/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday morning a friend and I hiked up to Mt Waumbek and back on the Starr King trail.  We hit the trail at 5am sharp and were off the trail by 10am.  After that it deemed impossible to pass up a monster slice of breakfast pizza at the country store in Jefferson, so we enjoyed that and a couple of coffees on the porch after a nice morning out.

Highlights included:

Bicknell's Thrush - 3, all just visual sightings. Others heard in the distance so likely more.
Black-backed Woodpecker - 2, pair working on a nest hole.  Between Starr King and Waumbek.
Boreal Chickadee - 4, between Starr King and Waumbek
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 5
Nashville Warbler - 1
Blackburnian Warbler - 1
Black-throated Green Warbler - 6
Blackpoll Warbler - 10+
Red Crossbill - 3, flyover at summit of Waumbek, a nice surprise

A full checklist with some photos here: http://ebird.org/ebird/nh/view/checklist/S30290743

Kyle Wilmarth
Plaistow, NH