Horned Grebe, Snow Buntings - Sunapee

jackso...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 8:26:54 PM12/6/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Over the last day and half I've been working all over the shore of Lake Sunapee doing snow removal for our first "big" snow storm of the year. The winter conditions are starting to set in and the lakes smaller bays are already starting to freeze. While the times of open water are surely soon to end, there seems to be a late congregation of waterfowl going on. Yesterday I counted a large group of 22 Common Mergansers in Gardner Bay in Sunapee. Today I found a total of 23 Hooded Mergansers from George's Mills Harbor (9) and Gardner Bay (14). Mallards are also congregating in George's Mills Harbor with a few American Black Ducks mixed in. There are still plenty of Common Loons around the lake, but the most notable sighting over the last two days was a HORNED GREBE in Gardner Bay late yesterday afternoon.

After finally getting all the snow picked up this morning, I stopped briefly at Trask Brook Road in Sunapee and there were 8 SNOW BUNTINGS feeding along the roadside.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone