Rumney Hummingbird 9/28, 9/27 Post Pond, Lyme

Jody Williams

Sep 28, 2016, 7:38:56 PM9/28/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
The hummingbird showed up for an hour this morning; didn’t see it yesterday (9/27). E-bird now dinged it as rare for time and place… I’m not surprised.

I spent about 25 minutes yesterday morning at Post Pond in Lyme (After part two of a root canal… which would have covered the better part of some high end optics) (I digress)… The area between the boat ramp and the town beach is layered with a good grape crop, plus sumac and dogwood berries. There were a good number of American Robins feeding in all of them. I estimated 20. Seven Swamp Sparrows responded to spishing, and I tallied three Song Sparrows too. Picked one each of Pine warbler and a female Black-throated Blue Warbler. 3-4 Eastern Phoebes were chasing each other. One Common Loon was on the water.

I would expect continued good birding while the food lasts.

Next stopped at Reed’s Marsh in Orford. Found a couple American Black Ducks and a Wood Duck on the water, and a Pileated Woodpecker belted out a “laugh” from the top of a dead tree.

John R Williams
Rumney