Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (16 Oct 2017) 45 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Oct 16, 2017, 4:58:02 PM10/16/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 16, 2017
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture000
Turkey Vulture5239246
Osprey145212
Bald Eagle149127
Northern Harrier01761
Sharp-shinned Hawk203041036
Cooper's Hawk138110
Northern Goshawk077
Red-shouldered Hawk12843
Broad-winged Hawk0268744
Red-tailed Hawk66672
Rough-legged Hawk011
Golden Eagle011
American Kestrel350158
Merlin52491
Peregrine Falcon03555
Unknown Accipiter013
Unknown Buteo124
Unknown Falcon033
Unknown Eagle011
Unknown Raptor11239
Total:4594911014

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours
Official CounterHenry Walters
Observers: Dixon Onderdonk, Judd Nathan, Michael Burgess, Mike Gebo, Robert Spatz

Visitors:
16 visitors to the hawkwatch.

Weather:
15-20 mph NW winds drilled into our bones and played various hollow-sounding tunes on them. We expected the skies to clear, but the overcast hung around throughout the day. Perfect wind-surfing conditions for the local raven mob, now 40-50 strong.

Raptor Observations:
A late-afternoon eagle jumpstarted our sluggish pulses, but it proved to be a juvenile bald, slowly escorted through the airspace by a raven playing Secret Service. A couple of merlins and a tardy osprey had no trouble cutting through the wind. Adult accipiters outnumbered first-year birds today.

Non-raptor Observations:
Common Loon - 2 Canada Goose - 29 Pileated Woodpecker - 1 Hermit Thrush - 1 American Robin - 2 Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2 White-throated Sparrow - 4 Monarch butterfly - 3

Predictions:
Winds calming, and more sunshine. After a cold night, accipiters may turn on the jets. Come visit! NOTE: Miller State Park will be closing the gate at 4 pm on weekdays from this point forward this fall.

Report submitted by Henry Walters (walter...@gmail.com)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at: www.nhaudubon.org
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]