Iceland Gulls to Razorbills

Rebecca Suomala

Jan 20, 2018, 7:56:36 PM1/20/18
to nhbirds

Zeke Cornell and I wandered to a number of locations looking for new year birds. Nice to have above freezing weather! A few highlights below.

Iceland Gull - 3 seen from outside the fence at the Rochester wastewater treatment plant when something put up all the gulls.

Mute Swan - 2 on Great Bay from Bay Rd. in tough viewing conditions because of the extensive ice.

Bald Eagles - at least 5 at various points on Great Bay

White-crowned Sparrow - 2 for sure and possibly a third at Great Bay Farm

Razorbill - 2 from Pulpit Rocks in the fading light at the end of the day.

Thanks to Steve Mirick for helping us find several other year birds.

We also tried unsuccessfully for the Sandhill Crane in Rollinsford and a Rough-legged at Pease.

I'll be scouting in Rye tomorrow for the Twitchers in the Rye's Superbowl of Birding next weekend. Rye sightings  welcome. And the team is still accepting pledges to support New Hampshire Bird Records and NH eBird:

http://nhbirdrecords.org/twitchers-in-the-rye-superbowl-of-birding-january-28-2017/

Becky Suomala

Concord, NH