Pack Monadnock

Joshua Jarvis

Jan 22, 2018, 12:03:02 PM1/22/18
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I joined the Harris Center for the Pack Monadnock hike in hopes to see crossbills. On the way up I saw plenty of brown creepers and chickadees. After the group left I scouted the hawkwatch area then made my way down on my own. On the way down I noticed a large bird in the distance (not sure what it was) stop and hang motionless in the air like a kite.

Tragedy struck on the way down. I slipped on the snow twice. The second time I put my arm back to catch myself, forcing my body weight onto my arm. It hurt so I went to see a doctor. I have a hairline fracture.

Their are birds you find, birds you do not find, but what do you call a bird that brings tragedy when you seek it? A few years ago (the only time I saw crossbills, white wings, before I had a good camera) I tried to slow down and get a picture. Camera battery was out of charge and police told me I caused an accident behind me. The first informed search this winter got me stuck in the snow. Now I have a broken bone.