NH Coast storm birding - Not much to report!

Steve Mirick

Jun 28, 2015, 7:04:10 PM6/28/15
to NH Birds
Jane and I got out a bit late this morning during the storm, but I doubt
it mattered. The winds were more ENE and then NE rather than the
predicted SE winds. This is generally not good for blowing pelagic
birds in to the coast line. In addition, the rain and then heavy mist
made for tough visibility.

The highlight was the (relatively) high number of terns in Hampton
harbor blown into the harbor and finding shelter on the inner beach.
But sadly, despite having about 5 times the number of terns that Kyle
and Amanda had yesterday, we had NO ARCTICS. They actually had two
yesterday.

Common Tern - 110+ (all adults)
Roseate Tern - 25+ (all adults)
Laughing Gull - 2 (1 adult, 1 1st cycle)
Bonaparte's Gull - 6 (all 1st cycle)

In addition, there were a ton (perhaps 100 to 200) terns off Seabrook
Beach by the Hampton harbor entrance. But the heavy blowing mist was
miserable and relentless and we didn't venture out into the rain to try
to find anything rare.

Only about 20-30 minutes spent scanning offshore. A single Wilson's
Storm-Petrel was all we could find.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA