July 5: LOONS – The Call of the Wild

loonp...@comcast.net

Jul 4, 2012, 12:11:52 PM7/4/12
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbir...@theworld.com

The Loon Center
Lee’s Mill Road, Moultonborough, NH
(603) 476-5666

Thursdays, 7:30 p.m.• Admission Free• Donations Appreciated    Thursday, July 5: LOONS – The Call of the Wild
Loon Preservation Committee Director Harry Vogel and loon expert, author, and award-winning nature photographer John Rockwood team up for a presentation for loon lovers. John’s multi-media show follows loons from their arrival in the spring to their departure in the fall. Harry will talk about the work of LPC biologists and how loon watcher volunteers can help to preserve loons.

John Rockwood
Auburn, NH
loonp...@comcast.net
www.loonphotog.net
www.theloonmannh.net

www.natureforalltosee.net

loonp...@comcast.net

Dec 11, 2013, 5:24:01 PM12/11/13
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbir...@theworld.com
I was lucky enough to see the Merrimack, NH Snowy Owl after striking out at the coast.
The following video was taken from my car, using a video lens equal to 600mm.

http://youtu.be/ySBI8yEqZVI

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

Dec 15, 2013, 11:41:25 AM12/15/13
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

I was lucky enough to see the Merrimack, NH Snowy Owl after striking
out at the coast on 12-11.
The following video was taken from my car, using a video lens equal to
600mm.

http://youtu.be/6wLIr7ImqTc

John Rockwood

www.theloonmannh.net

www.natureforalltosee.net

loonp...@comcast.net

Jan 17, 2014, 4:50:36 PM1/17/14
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
http://youtu.be/rdIlnW6os2Y

The Snowy Owl was being chased by crows from the south and landed on a dune near the board walk where I was standing. I took a few pictures then hurried to set up my tripod and video camera. Hence the shaky start.... The Snowy stayed about 10 minutes before chasing a mouse(?) across back side of another dune. The video was cut down to around 2.5 minutes.

The video camera a JVC GY-HM600 with zoom and tele-convertor equates to a 600-800 mm lens.

John Rockwood

www.theloonmannh.net

www.natureforalltosee.net

loonp...@comcast.net

Mar 25, 2014, 6:20:42 PM3/25/14
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

A short video of loons eating crabs along the NH coast. The seagulls try to steal the crabs.
Best watched on yuotube at 720p full screen.
http://youtu.be/yov67thh-fk>

The video was taken from my car, using a video lens equal to
720mm.

John Rockwood

www.theloonmannh.net

www.natureforalltosee.net

loonp...@comcast.net

Mar 25, 2014, 6:32:33 PM3/25/14
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Sorry there should be no> in address.
http://youtu.be/yov67thh-fk

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

May 28, 2015, 8:36:11 AM5/28/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbird-digest
I will be presenting a Multi-media Loon show tonight Thursday May 28 6:30 Toadstools Milford, NH
in conjunction with the 4th printing of my Loon book "Adventure With Grapenut".

http://www.toadbooks.com/event/milford-john-rockwood-slideshow-and-book-signing-loons

John Rockwood
http://www.theloonmannh.net/

loonp...@comcast.net

Jul 16, 2015, 3:24:32 PM7/16/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbird-digest
Loon parents reacting to a low flying plane. Works best in HD. Turn your sound on.
Please do not chase or approach Loons. Video taken at 20-25X zoom with a digital camcorder
from my kayak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40S4Mu2obmU

John Rockwood
http://www.theloonmannh.net/

loonp...@comcast.net

Aug 4, 2015, 8:39:33 AM8/4/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbird-digest
I will be presenting a Multi-media Loon show Friday August 7, 7:00 pm at the Massabesic Audubon Center in Auburn, NH.

http://www.nhaudubon.org/calendar/nature-cafe-call-of-the-loons/

John Rockwood
http://www.theloonmannh.net/

loonp...@comcast.net

Aug 30, 2015, 9:38:50 PM8/30/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com, massbird-digest
Loon twins (21-22 days old) swimming underwater with their dad.
The camera and my eyes did not agree on the water clarity.
There is no swimming allowed in this NH lake. Video shot while
sitting in my kayak.

https://youtu.be/z_mQJ0gULNc

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

Aug 31, 2015, 9:06:53 PM8/31/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Photographer John Rockwood will display his photographs from August 15 – October 1 at the Massabesic Audubon Center in Auburn, NH. Please stop by during regular business hours to view this exhibit.

On Thursday, September 3rd from 5:00 – 7:00pm join us for an artist reception and meet John in person.

About the Artist:

Since November 2006, John Rockwood has been delighting audiences with his spectacular collections of narrated and very informative multi-media shows for the Common Loon and “Nature for All to See” shows which include a vast array of other fascinating wildlife, indigenous to the Northeast and across the United States.

John, who resides in NH, has had numerous photos published in Birds & Blooms Magazine, Appalachia Magazine, NH Magazine and Natural New England Magazine. The March 2008 issue of Birds & Blooms Extra contains his photos in the article “Nesting in Harmony” about great horned owls nesting in great blue heron rookeries. The November 2008 issue of Birds & Blooms Extra contains his photos in the article “A Date With An Egret”. The September 2008 issue of Birds & Blooms Extra contains an excerpt of his book “Adventures with Grapenut” about a Loon Chick which John chronicled during the 2007 season. His “Loon Pair” photo was published in The Best of Birds and Bloom 2007 book. John also won the 2004 Auburn, NH Photo contest with his favorite picture, “Nesting Loon”.

Mr. Rockwood’s photographs and book are available through the Loon Center and NH Audubon Center gift shops.

loonp...@comcast.net

Oct 8, 2015, 5:11:46 PM10/8/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Share if you like Loons!
Banded female Loon giving her tremolo call (warning) as a juvenile eagle flew by this morning in southern, NH. Her mate also calls in the background.
Shot handheld from my kayak. With the 40 degree temp this am on the lake, most of the other female Loons have already migrated to the ocean.

https://vimeo.com/141830649

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

Apr 19, 2016, 8:14:02 PM4/19/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Share if you like Loons!

On Sunday I got to visit my favorite NH female loon that I have visited with for the last 14 years and her mate of the last 2 breeding seasons. Shot hand held from my kayak. She is grooming and spreading oil on her feathers to waterproof them.

She is the mother of the star of my book "Adventures With Grapenut". theloonmannh.net/2415.html

Music - The Savoy Drift by Dan-O at DanoSongs.com

https://vimeo.com/163403919

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

Jun 26, 2016, 11:02:55 AM6/26/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Least Tern Chick gets chased 6-23-2016 - Sandy Pt. State Park, Plum Island, MA
Feel free to share.

https://youtu.be/1ObPgCKWzc4

John Rockwood

loonp...@comcast.net

Jul 22, 2016, 8:12:39 PM7/22/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Female Loon had just finished feeding the twins. Now she is trying to eat a large Sunfish. I thought I was going to have to perform the heimlich maneuver. Shot handheld from my kayak on a windy day.
Sorry for the music, it was either that or listen to a jet ski, the wind noise and an airplane going by...... In NH.
https://youtu.be/nPv4Domt34I

John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Oct 21, 2016, 6:59:13 PM10/21/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
After feeding the juvenile loon off and on for the previous 45 minutes....
Dad caught a fish for himself. Taken on Lake Massabesic from my kayak on Thursday.

https://vimeo.com/188366589

The noise in the background is from a leaf blower on shore.

John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Nov 8, 2016, 6:15:03 PM11/8/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

I was out kayaking on Lake Massabesic in NH, early Monday morning. Air temperature was 28 degrees. Papa Loon came to visit my kayak before the wind picked up and drove me off the lake. Feel free to share.

https://vimeo.com/190784847

John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Nov 14, 2016, 4:34:17 PM11/14/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

For my fellow birders tired of politics! This video has music and sound, 8 minutes of joy!
Lake Massabesic, New Hampshire twin Loon chicks 2-8 days old.
https://youtu.be/587NMneAD3w Set to 720p HD.
Photos and video shot hand-held from my kayak. View full screen or not. 8 minutes of joy!
Part of one of my lecture series on Loons. I normally talk about each video clip and photo during the lecture. Feel free to share.

John Rockwood
The Loon Man

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Dec 8, 2016, 8:46:48 AM12/8/16
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

I got out kayaking on Lake Massabesic in Auburn, NH on Tuesday.  I found the juvenile Loon from this summer, was hanging out with what appeared to be a visiting juvenile Loon, that was passing through on it's way to the ocean.

Photos and video shoot hand-held from my kayak.  Air temperature was 22-35 degrees while I was on the lake.

https://vimeo.com/194817883

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Jan 1, 2017, 8:53:29 AM1/1/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Some videos of my favorite Loons to start your New Year off right.
These are scenes you will seldom see.
The days old numbers are the Loon twins ages.
There is no swimming allowed in the lake, so the underwater scenes are stick the camera in and hope....
All shot hand held from my kayak.
https://youtu.be/IhXl8fW_KGU

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Mar 13, 2017, 10:53:23 AM3/13/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Any GGO sightings today?

Thanks,
John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Mar 22, 2017, 4:47:07 PM3/22/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Parker River NWR's famous Barred Owl 3/21/2017.

https://vimeo.com/209567921 Best seen as HD.

John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Jun 16, 2017, 6:22:33 PM6/16/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Video of NH Loon underwater. Shot from my kayak. Water was a little murky that day.

https://vimeo.com/221888545

Enjoy!
John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Jul 12, 2017, 8:09:03 PM7/12/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Loon pair performing a tremolo duet. They saw a great blue heron flying by twice and gave an alarm call.
Video shot from my kayak in NH. The chick on the back had been snoozing. Please do not approach loons!

https://vimeo.com/225334056

Enjoy,
John Rockwood
http://theloonmannh.net/

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Jul 30, 2017, 9:16:16 AM7/30/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

A Male Loon with his twins out for an early morning cruise.

https://vimeo.com/227563066

Filmed from my kayak in southern, NH.

Please do not chase or approach loons!

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Aug 7, 2017, 11:33:48 AM8/7/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

Loon parent trying to feed either chick a crayfish.  Some Loon chicks never acquire the taste for crayfish.
Road noise in background. From 7/17/2017.  Video shot from my kayak.  Please do not chase or approach loons.

https://vimeo.com/228659579

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Oct 9, 2017, 2:53:48 PM10/9/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com

I was out kayaking July 12 watching and photographing a loon family from a distance. One of the local eagles flew by freaking out the loon parents.  Within seconds I had company for the next 10 minutes until the eagle left the area.  The loon chick was 1 day old at this point.

Feel free to share.

https://vimeo.com/237401738

John Rockwood

JOHN ROCKWOOD

Mar 21, 2018, 6:57:04 AM3/21/18
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
With the snow now coming in later tonight....
NH Loons at the Nashua Library free
Audubon Society, Nashaway Chapter
March 21 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
John M. Rockwood, Professional Photographer, and Author: "Adventures with Grapenut"
Join us at our regular meeting for another exciting program focused on New Hampshire wildlife and the environment. In this show we follow 2 different Loon families on 2 different NH lakes over a 6-month period. You will see close-up photos and videos of a Loon family daily life. You will see all the details as if you were sitting there in the kayak with John! You will get to see Loons landing, taking off, swimming underwater and much more. http://www.theloonmannh.net/
Library Phone # 603-589-4600

loonp...@comcast.net

Apr 17, 2019, 9:34:06 PM4/17/19
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
Lovers of Loons, Birds and Nature I will be presenting Wiggles & Waggles at the Thayer Memorial Library in Lancaster, MA on April 23 at 6:30. Free admission.
Wiggles & Waggles!
Follow these comical Loon twins from the day they are born until they migrate to the ocean 6 months later from the mostly frozen lake!
You'll see video of Loon adults and chicks swimming under water.
The close-up photos and videos allow you to experience all the thrills without getting wet!

John Rockwood The Loonman