viewing the Booby warning

Kyle Wilmarth

Jun 20, 2017, 10:54:58 AM6/20/17
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I just received a call from two birders at the Booby stakeout - apparently as they were walking up the road to see if the Booby was visible from the street, they were heckled by a neighbor passing by in a truck and threatened to call the police, insinuating that they were going to trespass (which wasn't the case).

Just wanted to pass this news along for any others visiting. The town of Windham has been extremely accommodating to us birders allowing so many of us to view from the beach (which is private), so please keep the residents in mind.

I would suggest viewing from the town beach to avoid any further conflict.

 Kyle Wilmarth

Cliff Otto

Jun 20, 2017, 11:51:43 AM6/20/17
to NHB...@googlegroups.com
As long as it is a public road and you are ON the road, they can yell all they want. So, someone needs to determine whether the road is public or private.

Cliff Otto
Manchester

Kyle Wilmarth

Jun 20, 2017, 12:16:48 PM6/20/17
to NHBirds, NHB...@googlegroups.com
Maybe so, but 95% of the time the bird is not even visible from the road - so let's save the logistics and just respect the locals (especially if they're getting annoyed). Not to mention that road has always been dangerous to walk or bike on. The beach is much better place to view the bird and has been made accessible for birders to see it.  We're lucky the bird chose this spot and that the town of Windham is even allowing us at the beach. No need to push it.

Kyle

Brenda McMahon

Jun 20, 2017, 5:16:47 PM6/20/17
to NHBirds
I agree with you, Kyle. I was one of the birders that this man was yelling at. He was very annoyed with "you people". I think he has just had enough of everyone.

Brenda McMahon