Some oddball recordings of BTBlue Warbler & Cerulean Warbler

Steve Mirick

May 24, 2015, 12:21:33 PM5/24/15
to NH Birds
Below are a couple of songs that I recorded back in 2000. Both verified
by sighting the bird:

Odd sounding Black-throated Blue Warbler - Very similar to Cerulean:
home.comcast.net/~smirick//black-throated%20blue%20warbler%20%28odd%29.wav

Odd sounding Cerulean Warbler from Pawtuckaway SP back when they were
somewhat regular there.
home.comcast.net/~smirick//Cerulean%20Warbler%20%28odd%29%20-%202.wav

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA

Christine Sheridan

May 24, 2015, 9:03:49 PM5/24/15
to Stephen Mirick, NH Birds
Thanks for the unusual songs!

The warbler in question actually was singing from the tip-top of the deciduous canopy on the day Chris McPherson and I came across it. It never came down except for a faster-than-the-eye flyby, whereupon it returned to the top of the trees. A very confusing fellow, till Jeanne-Marie and I got him to come in closer on Friday.

Several more Black-throated Blues were singing on Friday and we did notice some other  aberrant songs along that branch of the trail, though nothing that came close to the "culprit's" renditions.

A couple of years ago, there was a Savannah Sparrow at Cemetery Fields in Amherst singing a Grasshopper Sparrow-like song.

I've read that there is a large element of learning involved in many species songs.

Chris Sheridan
Nashua

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA

Jackson Childs

May 27, 2015, 9:31:20 AM5/27/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but this issue is fascinating to me.

I visited a spot in Connecticut last Saturday with Ceruleans, and then I went to Mt. Cardigan in NH on Sunday. It seems the Black-throated Blue population in that area sings a "Cerulean" type song almost exclusively (I would take a terrible stab at rendering it as "Pew Pew pewpewpewpew PEEWW". When I first heard it I thought "Is that a Cerulean?". I heard it at Mt. Kearsarge as well. I think it would be very hard for someone just going by recordings to distinguish them, since the structure of the song is so similar. I don't recall hearing that song from migrants in eastern MA. It's a good reminder that most warbler species sing a variety of songs depending on individual, population, time of day, season, who knows. It can seem that the more I come to recognize the more unknown ones I start to hear. On Monday I heard and saw a Pine Warbler singing a song at Pawtuckaway that didn't sound like any song from them I'd heard before...

Best,
Jackson Childs

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Steve Mirick <smi...@comcast.net> wrote:

Steve Mirick