Pre-pakaged modules for nginx

Longinos

Oct 14, 2016, 4:34:35 AM10/14/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Hi to all
Recently nginx was released the mainline version 1.11.15 that introduces the --with-compat option, to make an ease compilation of dynamics modules.
Can this option make feasible the creation of pre-pakaged modules for nginx web server?
I don´t find much more info that this https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?29,270210,270213

Jeff Kaufman

Oct 14, 2016, 7:34:17 AM10/14/16
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Reading the source, it looks like --with-compat sets NGX_COMPAT, which
then means a bunch of structures have values regardless of other
config options. For example, core_loc_conf now has thread_pool as
long as NGX_COMPAT is defined, even if NGX_THREADS isn't defined. It
also looks like it force-includes gzip, dav, realip, and several other
modules. Things in the signature that don't look like they're held
fixed by NGX_COMPAT or the forced-included modules include:

NGX_HAVE_KQUEUE
NGX_HAVE_IOCP
NGX_HAVE_EVENTFD
NGX_HAVE_EPOLL
NGX_HAVE_KEEPALIVE_TUNABLE
NGX_HAVE_INET6
NGX_HAVE_DEFERRED_ACCEPT
NGX_HAVE_SETFIB
NGX_HAVE_TCP_FASTOPEN
NGX_HAVE_UNIX_DOMAIN
NGX_HAVE_VARIADIC_MACROS
NGX_HAVE_OPENAT
NGX_HAVE_ATOMIC_OPS
NGX_HAVE_POSIX_SEM
NGX_PCRE
NGX_HTTP_CACHE

plus nginx's version.

I think this doesn't change our dynamic modules story; we can't
pre-build binaries for all of these combinations. Right now our best
options are:

1) Update our automated installer to be able to look up what
configuration options nginx was built with and build ngx_pagespeed as
a dynamic module with exactly those options.

2) Get into distributions, so they can build versions of ngx_pagespeed
that exactly match the version of nginx they're building.

Jeff