Some PageSpeed rewritten resources eventually return 404s

Brant Tedeschi

Sep 4, 2016, 1:41:25 PM9/4/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
        pagespeed on;
        pagespeed
FileCachePath /var/ngx_pagespeed_cache;
        location
~ "\.pagespeed\.([a-z]\.)?[a-z]{2}\.[^.]{10}\.[^.]+" {
                add_header
"" "";

}
        location
~ "^/pagespeed_static/" { }
        location
~ "^/ngx_pagespeed_beacon$" { }

   pagespeed
FileCacheSizeKb          102400;
   pagespeed
LRUCacheKbPerProcess     8192;
   pagespeed
LRUCacheByteLimit        16384;

  pagespeed
RewriteLevel CoreFilters;
  pagespeed
EnableFilters collapse_whitespace,remove_comments;

Above is my pagespeed config. I have 6 nginx processes running because I have 6 cores (not sure if that matters, but I'll mention it). I have plenty of memory available to use if I need to.

The problem is that when I enabled pagespeed, it starts out working fine. All resources are optimized properly, images, css, js, etc. However, after maybe 20 minutes I'll notice that some resources start to return 404 errors. Though not all resources return 404s and it seems pretty random.  I enabled the statistics for a brief period of time thinking that it may help pinpoint an issue, but it was saying that I shouldn't be having any 404 errors.

Any ideas what may be causing this to happen?

Otto van der Schaaf

Sep 5, 2016, 5:44:55 AM9/5/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
One thing I can come up with is when rate-limiting would occasionally block ngx_pagespeed from reloading it's original inputs.

Would you be able to provide debug-level logs that include these 404's? You can also email that directly if you do not want to post it public.

Rrecently there have been similar reports, so I'm now curious if there's an underlying bug in pagespeed that causes this. for example, on the mps-discuss list:

Otto