nginx-1.8.0 with ngx-pagespeed module compile killed

Sunjay Dhama

Jul 18, 2015, 4:04:15 AM7/18/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!
I am attempting to install nginx-1.8.0 with the ngx_pagespeed-release-1.9.32.4-beta module. Unfortunately when the system is compiling, the process is terminated.

Here is the what I am seeing on the terminal:
objs/ngx_modules.o \
-lpthread -lcrypt -lstdc++ /root/ngx_pagespeed-release-1.9.32.4-beta/psol/lib/Debug/linux/ia32/pagespeed_automatic.a -lrt -pthread -lm /root/pcre-8.37/.libs/libpcre.a -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz -lGeoIP
collect2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]
make[1]: *** [objs/nginx] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/nginx-1.8.0'
make: *** [build] Error 2

I believe it is because the server runs out of memory. I am using a dirt cheap VPS with 128MB of memory (and 128mb of virtual memory [swap?]). When I compile, I am not running any other process, but still no luck. Any suggestions? Should I try making and install without the  ngx_pagespeed-release-1.9.32.4-beta module and try to add it after? Is there some way to indicate your system's memory limitations to the compiler? Am I SOL because of the low memory? Thanks!

There is more info in the attached file.

- Sunjay

log.txt

Jeffrey Crowell

Jul 18, 2015, 3:33:41 PM7/18/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
the lowest amount of memory that I have seen be able to compile nginx with ngx_pagespeed is 512mb.
as for adding pagespeed later, nginx compiles modules in, so it is not possible with vanilla nginx.

Taobao maintains an nginx fork that allows for compiling in modules separately called "Tengine" that works with nginx that may work with a lower amount of memory, see the wiki page here : https://github.com/pagespeed/ngx_pagespeed/wiki/Using-ngx_pagespeed-with-Tengine

If this doesn't work, or you prefer to use nginx instead of Tengine, you should still be able to compile nginx with pagespeed on a different machine and copy it over after

Jeff

Sunjay Dhama

Jul 20, 2015, 3:55:49 AM7/20/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your reply Jeff. I successfully compiled nginx with pagespeed on a different machine and then transferred the executable to server with low memory.