Essentially off best results on speed test sites

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 4:42:55 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
It turns out after all that tweaking that the fastest my site has been is with the simple configuration of

    pagespeed on;
    pagespeed RewriteLevel CoreFilters;
    pagespeed FileCachePath /var/ngx_pagespeed_cache;
    pagespeed FetchHttps enable,allow_self_signed,allow_unknown_certificate_aut$
    pagespeed ImplicitCacheTtlMs 31536000000;

That's it...
I literally have nothing else in my site configs or anywhere
The above yielded the fastest results on speed test sites.
I went from large config files, meticulously obsessing over the right settings to just what you see above.

Joshua Marantz

Mar 7, 2017, 6:27:51 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Speed-wise that's great.  However, if you can, I'd simply further by changing the FetchHttps lines to:
  pagespeed FetchHttps enable;
The option flags on that line are really intended for testing locally, and not for production use.

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 6:35:47 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
​I actually removed the https line all-together as i read it was on by default in the new one.
seems to be working, unless there is something im not seeing​

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 6:39:25 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Am I missing something?

Joshua Marantz

Mar 7, 2017, 6:41:14 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
 Yes that's right -- that should have been my suggestion :)

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Danny Michel <danield...@gmail.com> wrote:
Am I missing something?

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 6:42:19 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Cool cool

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 6:53:23 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
You know what?
This actually brings up a question
Shouldn't resize_images,responsive_images be enabled in core filters, since a good percentage of us have retina screens?

Joshua Marantz

Mar 7, 2017, 7:14:47 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Resize_images is in core already.  Arguably responsive_images should be as well.  We were we just conservative and wanted to get feedback on it before promoting it to core.

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 7:16:33 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
I for one think it should definitely be core functionality
It's got my vote

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 9:08:16 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Kind of has me wondering though about the fact that misconfiguration, which i suppose was what i was doing can have adverse effects on speed rather than a sort of mechanism which recognizes that misconfiguration and cancels it out.

Joshua Marantz

Mar 7, 2017, 9:10:24 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks -- great to hear that's working out!

Note there is nothing wrong with enabling CoreFilters and then adding a few more with EnableFilters.  Others you might consider

whitespace minification (collapse_whitespace, remove_comments)
lazyload_images
prioritize_critical_css

But each of these should probably be separately examined to determine whether you want it.

The "misconfiguration" of FetchHttps just means that when pagespeed fetches resources over https it will not really validate certs.  I don't think that will affect speed.

-Josh

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:08 AM, Danny Michel <danield...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kind of has me wondering though about the fact that misconfiguration, which i suppose was what i was doing can have adverse effects on speed rather than a sort of mechanism which recognizes that misconfiguration and cancels it out.

Danny Michel

Mar 7, 2017, 9:14:29 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
I have used and will probably use those you mentioned other than lazyload, as masonry on my site doesn't work well with lazyload. i'd categorize lazyload as an 'unsafe' filter for that reason. definitely not something i'd look forward to seeing in the core

Joshua Marantz

Mar 7, 2017, 9:18:40 AM3/7/17
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Sure I'm aware that lazyload can bump into other packages, which is the main reason it's not in Core.