How to analyze the file cache inode usage and adjust the limit for better performance?

Ho Kuen Leung

Jul 10, 2017, 5:44:56 AM7/10/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss

We installed the module on a server with 100G for disk size and 6553600 for inode

The file cache folder is using 14G in disk size and 3340008 in inode.
It seems the inode usage is growing faster than disk space usage.

How do we analyze the performance of file cache and determine the limit for inode usage?
Can we also find out if a particular "segment" of file cache is rarely used?

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 10, 2017, 6:51:22 AM7/10/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Hi,

The console, statistics and histograms in the admin pages may help with assessing cache health:
As for rarely used segments of the file cache, I'm not sure what you mean here?

Otto

Ho Kuen Leung

Jul 11, 2017, 9:37:10 PM7/11/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks for replying quickly.

We do realize there are admin pages that we can setup and we have setup already.
But we are not sure that do those stats entries mean since we can't find any doc talking about them.

For the "rarely used segments of the file cache", we mean what files in the file cache is rarely used.
In the doc (https://modpagespeed.com/doc/system), it mentions "When cache cleaning is initiated, the oldest files in the cache will be removed".
What does "oldest" mean? Oldest created? Oldest accessed?

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 13, 2017, 3:25:09 AM7/13/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
The file cache will clean itself by removing the least recently accessed files periodically.

Otto

Ho Kuen Leung

Jul 17, 2017, 4:40:21 AM7/17/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks!
Could the document be updated as well?

"When cache cleaning is initiated, the oldest files in the cache will be removed"
change to
"When cache cleaning is initiated, the least recently accessed files in the cache will be removed".

That should avoid confusion for other users when they read that.

Otto van der Schaaf

Jul 17, 2017, 4:44:39 AM7/17/17
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss