Re: [ngx-pagespeed-discuss] gzip and pagespeed

Otto van der Schaaf

Nov 3, 2015, 5:02:59 PM11/3/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
On this specific file:
This sends a 0 byte response, and applying gzip compression would increase the response size and therefore not make a lot of sense.

When I change the pagespeed hash [1] to query the same optimized response but also bust any http caches, something odd happens
The response seems to be all whitespace, and also still is very small (429 bytes). Perhaps nginx or another server down the road adds padding to avoid bugs in some older browsers.
Also, this second response actually is gzip-compressed.

Bottom line is that it seems that another module or server downstream of pagespeed is interfering, but not in a way that I think you need to worry about.

Otto

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 7:19 PM, 'AnInterestedPerson' via ngx-pagespeed-discuss <ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/Z99eD/aclassic.thing-fast.com/

usually 1-12 files of type text are not gzipped by pagespeed - no matter how the server is configured (gzip on, gzip vary...)
in above case its the file: http://aclassic.thing-fast.com/wp-content/themes/Avada-Child-Theme/A.style.css.pagespeed.cf.1B2M2Y8Asg.css

All other files are gzipped by pagespeed. Obviously it is the pagespeed engine coming after nginx procession, but why wouldnt pagespeed gzip it?
what is going on? what am I missing? Please help.

TIA
Martin