PSOL not found, configure failed…?

Bryan Rieger

Apr 22, 2015, 8:18:49 AM4/22/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
I've been trying for the past few hours to configure (let alone make and install) pagespeed for nginx based on the docs provided: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/build_ngx_pagespeed_from_source

Every time I run:
$ ./configure --add-module=$HOME/ngx_pagespeed …

I get the following error (at the very end, everything else is fine):

configuring additional modules
adding module in /home/bryan/ngx_pagespeed
mod_pagespeed_dir=/home/bryan/mod_pagespeed/src
build_from_source=true
checking for psol ... not found
./configure: error: module ngx_pagespeed requires the pagespeed optimization library.

I've even attempted building PSOL from Source (https://github.com/pagespeed/ngx_pagespeed/wiki/Building-PSOL-From-Source) as was suggested if you run into any problems.
This results in the exact same error being thrown on ./configure.

Running make results in the expected:

make: *** No rule to make target `build', needed by `default'.  Stop.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.19.1-x86_64-linode53 x86_64) (on Linode).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bryan

Bryan Rieger

Apr 22, 2015, 8:40:19 AM4/22/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
In reviewing the objs/autoconf.err file I'm guessing there's a problem with the arch config somewhere as I have a couple hundred lines similar to the following:

/usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/opt/ngx_pagespeed-release-1.9.32.3-beta/psol/lib/Release/linux/x64/pagespeed_automatic.a(117.servlk.o.o)' is incompatible with i386 output

Bryan Rieger

Apr 22, 2015, 8:59:06 AM4/22/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
If I force the ngx_pagespeed config to use 'arch_name='ia32' (inserted after line 64) it will complete the configuration and run make (+ install) successfully.

I'm wondering if this problem might not be related to my configuration on Linode as this VM was migrated from a 32bit to a 64bit architecture a few months back: https://www.linode.com/docs/migrate-to-linode/disk-images/switching-to-a-64bit-kernel

Hoping this might help some poor soul who happens to run into the exact same issue on Linode.

Jeffrey Crowell

Apr 22, 2015, 10:19:15 AM4/22/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
This seems like a problem a few people have had in the past:

I will add your solution to the docs. Thanks!