Annoying that Google lets down my score :)

Rob Jonson

Jul 14, 2015, 7:36:00 AM7/14/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Pagespeed in Nginx, and it is mostly working brilliantly.

However - it is annoying to take the pagespeed insights test and get a bunch of 'should fix' warnings for google resources.

the internetdefenseleague isn't google's problem, but I think all the other ones are.

I'm using
-google analytics
-google site search
-google translate widget

I'm somewhat surprised that async-ads.js is called at all - I would expect that to appear only in the results page for a search (a new page)

I'm sure that in the grand scheme of things, none of these really matter - but it would be nice to see Google setting an example.

cheers,

Rob

Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.
Leverage browser caching for the following cacheable resources:
Hide details

Prioritize visible content

Show how to fix

Optimize images

Properly formatting and compressing images can save many bytes of data.
Optimize the following images to reduce their size by 5.8KiB (70% reduction).
Hide details

Minify CSS

Compacting CSS code can save many bytes of data and speed up download and parse times.
Minify CSS for the following resources to reduce their size by 4.4KiB (35% reduction).
Hide details

Minify JavaScript

Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.
Minify JavaScript for the following resources to reduce their size by 1.4KiB (1% reduction).

Jeff Kaufman

Jul 14, 2015, 9:41:36 AM7/14/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
If you share a link to your site I can try to figure out how
async-ads.js is getting loaded.

For the others, each 3rd party thing you put on your website should
have a single shorter cache-lifetime resource that then loads a bunch
of very long cache lifetime resources. It looks like Google Analytics
is doing this, but Google Translate and Site Search are loading
multiple resources each. I'll file bugs with them. Thanks!

Jeff Kaufman

Jul 14, 2015, 11:39:58 AM7/14/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Testing Site Search with http://www.jefftk.com/cse-test?PageSpeed=off
I've verified that it does load async-ads.js by default. I'm filing a
bug for that as well.

Rob Jonson

Jul 22, 2015, 6:13:11 AM7/22/15
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 14:41:36 UTC+1, Jeff Kaufman wrote:
If you share a link to your site I can try to figure out how
async-ads.js is getting loaded.

Hi Jeff,

any comment on compressing/minifying the google content? That seems like a trivial fix.

thanks.

Rob

Jeff Kaufman

Jul 22, 2015, 9:22:34 AM7/22/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
The amount that the various google resources could be compressed is large in %-terms, but still very small in absolute terms.  It's big enough that Google should fix it and I'll file bugs, but it's not something that's likely to have much of an effect on your page loading speed.

Rob Jonson

Aug 22, 2015, 7:27:41 AM8/22/15
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
yes - I understand that this isn't a big deal in reality.

It's just annoying to see Google's pagespeed test 'failing' my site for easily fixable google issues.

Lahcen Bensaad

Jeff Kaufman

Aug 24, 2015, 8:43:12 AM8/24/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
You have:

Both adsbygoogle.js and analytics.js are directly referenced in your html, which means that if Google used a longer cache lifetime it would be harder to fix things if they broke.  For the teams that handle these there's a tradeoff between efficiency and safety, and I've talked to them about this and they think their current cache lifetimes are a good compromise.

On the other hand, osd.js is loaded by adsbygoogle.js [1] so I don't see why we can't longcache it.  I'll file a bug.

check my score: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=souqbladi.com&tab=desktop

On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 at 2:22:34 PM UTC+1, Jeff Kaufman wrote:
The amount that the various google resources could be compressed is large in %-terms, but still very small in absolute terms.  It's big enough that Google should fix it and I'll file bugs, but it's not something that's likely to have much of an effect on your page loading speed.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Rob Jonson <rob.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 14:41:36 UTC+1, Jeff Kaufman wrote:
If you share a link to your site I can try to figure out how
async-ads.js is getting loaded.

Hi Jeff,

any comment on compressing/minifying the google content? That seems like a trivial fix.

thanks.

Rob

Add URL

Aug 15, 2018, 8:01:47 AM8/15/18