Announcing ngx_pagespeed beta release 1.12.34.1

Steve Hill

Dec 7, 2016, 5:43:20 PM12/7/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
The PageSpeed team is pleased to announce a new beta release, version 1.12.34.1. This release adds a number of features, including support for Redis as a cache backend and generating preload hints for CSS and JavaScript resources. It also contains a large number of bug fixes.

Please see our release notes for more detailed information:

To install this update, see:

The installation process remains the same, even if you've already installed a previous version.

Steve Hill
PageSpeed Team
Google

Hans van Eijsden

Dec 8, 2016, 10:13:35 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Where do I find PSOL?
Thanks!

Hans van Eijsden

Dec 8, 2016, 10:34:31 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Looks like all the URL's are wrong in the Build instructions and also the file names, release- must be v:
And inside the archive it's not there anymore:
cd ngx_pagespeed-${NPS_VERSION}-beta/

But what about PSOL? I see something about $BIT_SIZE_NAME in a new file, PSOL_BINARY_URL... what to do with it?

-Hans

Jeff Kaufman

Dec 8, 2016, 10:40:25 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
We used to include both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries in the same PSOL tarball, but we've switched to having two tarballs.

If you substitute either ia32 or x64 for BIT_SIZE_NAME then you should get the tarball you want:

Jeff Kaufman

Dec 8, 2016, 10:41:13 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
(It looks like our manual instructions on https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module/build_ngx_pagespeed_from_source are out of date; we'll fix them.)

Hans van Eijsden

Dec 8, 2016, 11:07:02 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
Thanks Jeff, up & running.
And... I see lower CPU usage and lower system load with Redis! And it "feels" like the pages are loading faster, but that can be a placebo, will need to run test.
But thanks so much for Redis, doing great so far!

-Hans

Jeff Kaufman

Dec 8, 2016, 11:35:17 AM12/8/16
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  Let us know how it works out for you!

Steve Hill

Dec 8, 2016, 3:10:08 PM12/8/16
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
The build instructions should be correct now, sorry about that!

Hans van Eijsden

Dec 8, 2016, 6:13:12 PM12/8/16
to ngx-pagespeed-discuss
First results, migrated from memcached storage (2 GB) to Redis (2GB):

Pingdom full page load times from Germany to The Netherlands went down from 147ms to 108ms on average.
Server load went down from 0.19 to 0.12, 15 minute averages.
Memory usage stays about the same.

How I built Redis: http://pastebin.com/8tf4sspS
How I built NGINX: http://pastebin.com/2sw9yprg

So, I'm a happy user. Keep up the good work.

-Hans

Op donderdag 8 december 2016 17:35:17 UTC+1 schreef Jeff Kaufman:
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ngx-pagespeed-discuss.