Image optimizing suggestion

Vidyut

Apr 18, 2015, 2:04:41 PM4/18/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
Is it already possible or can it be made possible to simply rewrite original images with optimized versions instead of reinventing the wheel every time the cache is cleared or they are evicted for space/expired?

Possibly not as a default, if there is any danger to it, but as a setting? People can backup their images in case of disaster and let pagespeed rewrite them as needed. Any image that dies badly can be restored from backup and put on some forbid list.

Will likely free resources for the more dynamic work pagespeed has to do and give more speed for same result.

Or possibly some setting for resources that will never change and those that will - css/js files with version numbers and images for example. Why cache? Just replace with the better version (where permissions allow, of course).

Vidyut

Social Media: Twitter Facebook Google+ Diaspora

Viktorija Vasiliauskiene

Apr 18, 2015, 5:46:59 PM4/18/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
And 1 more thing optimize images on upload. If people upload images to a website.

Joshua Marantz

Apr 19, 2015, 11:11:14 PM4/19/15
to ngx-pagesp...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like you might be looking for more of a static image rewriter.  I think it would be very useful to package PageSpeed's image processing library as a standalone utility.  Open-source contributions are welcome!

Also note there are tools such as ImageMagick.

I'm not sure I see the difference, though, between the details of your suggestion and the way PageSpeed currently saves images in the file-cache, using content-hash in the url/filename and caching for a year.  Evictions only happen if you size your cache too small.

-Josh

-Josh