July 25: Antioch Dunes bioblitz

Dan Rademacher

May 28, 2015, 11:21:43 AM5/28/15
to N4N Bioblitz, carmen_le...@fws.gov
hi bioblitzers!

We're looking at doing a summer blitz at the Antioch Dunes National Wildlife Refuge on July 25.

This the first (only?) wildlife refuge created specifically to protect insects, and it's not normally open to the public, so this should be pretty interesting.

Carmen Minch, cc'd here, is with the US Fish and Wildlife Service and coordinating the effort on their end.

The park is small and a bit odd -- it does a good impression of a weedy lot -- but also home to several species of insects and plants that live either nowhere else or almost nowhere else.

The question for you is whether any of the insect/small invert folks on the list can join us with their nets and beet sheets to make sure we're set to do a good blitz.

Liam, would *love* to have you! And Eddie, Kaldari, Ken-ichi, and anyone else up for some bug fun in the sun!

Reply-all and we'll see what happens!

(Details of time, wrap, etc. in the works)

Dan

Eddie Dunbar

May 28, 2015, 4:36:05 PM5/28/15
to Dan Rademacher, N4N Bioblitz, carmen_le...@fws.gov
We have our Mid-Summer Moth Madness event July 25, but we can certainly do the event at Antioch Dunes. July 25 is the first day of National Moth Week. How do we find out if we can black light (preferably overnight)?

Eddie Dunbar
Founder & President
Insect Sciences Museum
     of California

Ken-ichi

May 28, 2015, 5:09:19 PM5/28/15
to N4N Bioblitz
I'd love to join, but I'll be returning from a trip the day before, so
I might only join for the afternoon / evening. Some questions:

1) Are sweep nets, beat sheets, etc actually allowed?
2) Can we camp overnight, or at least stay until midnight to run moth sheets?

Dan Rademacher

May 28, 2015, 5:53:14 PM5/28/15
to Ken-ichi, Carmen Minch, N4N Bioblitz
Good questions! Beat sheets and nets might be dicey in a place home to protected species, huh?

CC-ing Carmen, who knows the rules.

Dan

Leong-Minch, Carmen

May 31, 2015, 3:55:03 PM5/31/15
to Dan Rademacher, Ken-ichi, N4N Bioblitz
Ooh!  I'll check.  I know our biologist was hoping for a blitz longer than a couple of hours, so this may be possible.  I will check with Susan (biologist) and our Don (Manager).
--
Carmen Minch
Outdoor Recreation Planner