N4N groups in Boston, New York?

Celeste LeCompte

Nov 12, 2014, 3:54:28 PM11/12/14
to N4N Bioblitz, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nature Nerds,

I've transplanted myself out east for a year, and I'm jealous of all the awesome stuff y'all are doing. I'd love to connect with groups out here. Does anyone know of similar groups or meetups in the Boston and New York areas? Specifically, bioblitz folks?

Thanks!
Celeste

--
Check out my latest project, Climate Confidential
Support independent, ad-free journalism about environmental topics that matter to you.

Victoria Bogdan

Nov 12, 2014, 4:03:22 PM11/12/14
to Celeste LeCompte, N4N Bioblitz, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Celeste!

Thanks for writing! I am not aware of similar groups in your area. If you find out, please let us know!

There has been interest in the past towards starting Nerds for Nature chapters in other areas of the country (and world!) but so far that hasn't materialized. If you might want to start your own Nerds meetup we're happy to advise. We have a few small requests about how the name is used but would say that otherwise it's a great thing if folks take the initiative and want to get something started.

Let us know what you think. Feel free to contact me directly as well.

Victoria

Ken McGary

Nov 12, 2014, 4:18:30 PM11/12/14
to Victoria Bogdan, Celeste LeCompte, N4N Bioblitz, nerdsfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Celeste,

You might also try getting in touch with PublicLab.org and tell Liz and Shannon the Nature Nerds sent you. They are located in NYC and other east coast spots, more focused on "abiotic" data and community action in areas like like water and air quality, but they are well-connected and could probably point you in some interesting directions.

Also, you might get in touch with Andrew Thaler and Amy Freitag who were N4N Core Organizers but have just headed back east to North Carolina for a new job (on the road with their goats and rabbits and carnivorous plants!) where I expect they'll soon be stirring up some Nature Nerd-ish activities. NC is a ways from NYC/Boston but I expect they'll find their way up your direction now and then and might be able to help organize some Nerd group/activities.

Ken

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nerds For Nature Core Organizers" group.