Bird Predictions 2018 - Just for fun

Catherine

Dec 31, 2017, 7:13:52 AM12/31/17
2017 was a great year for rarities in Newfoundland and Labrador with five new species added to the all-time bird checklist. Despite the many predictions, only one of the new species was among the predicted birds (more on that in a minute). Seriously, who even thought a Yellow-billed Loon or a Yellow-breasted Bunting was even possible for NL???

The most accurate prediction belongs to Dave Brown who predicted an Eared Grebe between Portugal Cove South and Trepassey. Dave was off by just a few kilometers as an Eared Grebe was found by Chris Brown on December 1 at Peter's River. This was the first provincial record of this species and a fantastic bird.

So, what do you think will be the best bird found in NL in 2018? My official guess is a Marbled Godwit in Stephenville Crossing, although my fantasy bird would be a Long-billed Curlew in a Goulds field!

Here is a recap of the 2017 predictions in no particular order:

Lancy C. - Palla's/Great Black Backed Gull, Quidi Vidi field
Ed H. - American Avocet, Bellevue Beach
Les S. - Ross's Gull, Quidi Vidi Lake
Chris B. - Lapwing, Bay Bulls (we are long overdue!)
Gerard H. - Pink Flamingo, St. John's
Ian Jones - Booby
Catherine B. - Gull-billed Tern, Renews
Jeff H. - Turkey Vulture, Cape Race Road (who could have thought we'd actually get a Black Vulture!)
Bruce M. - Great Knot, Bellevue Beach
Peter S. - American Oystercatcher, Renews
Xavier - Gray Heron, Long Pond
Yolanda - Sandhill Crane, Central NL
Shawn F. - Brown Booby, Trepassey
John W. - Black Tailed Godwit, Goulds
Dave S. - Swallow-tailed Kite, Bidgoods Park
John W. - Sedge Wren, St. Shotts
Gene H. - Painted Bunting, Trepassey
Paul L. - Kelp Gull, Quidi Vidi Lake
Vernon B. - Mediterranean Gull, Buckles Pt. Labrador. Vernon, I hope you were okay with a Yellow-breasted Bunting instead ;)
Bill M. - Sprague's Pipit, Cape St. Mary's
Alvan B. - Gray Kingbird, Trepassey/Ferryland/ or Rennie's River
Jared C. - Golden Crowned Sparrow, Burin Peninsula
Sasha S. - Little Egret, Renews
Diane B. - American Woodcock, Codroy Valley
Howard C. - Chaffinch, his St. John's feeder
Andrea D. - Roseate Spoonbill, Goulds
Brendan K. - Pileated Woodpecker, Gallants
Alison M. - Altimara Oriole, Tors Cove
Mike P. - Tricoloured Heron, Long Pond

So, what is the rarest bird you think will grace our skies in Newfoundland and Labrador in 2018?

Catherine

Shawn

Dec 31, 2017, 9:10:37 AM12/31/17
Western Reef-Heron ----- Renews

mpa...@mun.ca

Dec 31, 2017, 9:40:11 AM12/31/17
Mistle Thrush(why not us?)-----feeding on berries somewhere in St. John's

lancy cheng

Dec 31, 2017, 9:43:30 AM12/31/17
Thank you, Catherine, for the annual event and developing tradition! :) What can I say? "i love this game!". 2017 is exciting with so many mega rarities. Good for Dave Brown. I'm curious what he's going to say this time (and I'll chase it!).
Although I missed the shot, it's time to get rebound. I have a complicated wishing list for 2018:
One of these three from Western America: California, Western and Glaucous-winged Gulls. Hybrid of the last two accepted.
One of these three from Asia: Heuglin's, Mongolian and Vega Gulls.

My prediction is Vega at QV.
(Vega is the sweetest kitty I can ever ask who is sleeping by my side right now. Vega is not going to search Vega with me at QV I'm afraid :) )
Happy new year!
Lancy

Les Sweetapple

Dec 31, 2017, 11:34:13 AM12/31/17
A Red Legged Thrush in the Goulds. Saw them this year in the Dominica Replublic. Nice looking birds.
Les

Todd Boland

Dec 31, 2017, 1:34:38 PM12/31/17
House Martin at Quidi Vidi Lake

chris...@hotmail.com

Dec 31, 2017, 1:55:14 PM12/31/17
On Sunday, 31 December 2017 15:04:38 UTC-3:30, Todd Boland wrote:
> House Martin at Quidi Vidi Lake

I'm sticking with Northern Lapwing,Walsh's Farm Bay Bulls.My prediction for the last number of years.Happy New Year to my birding friends!

Chris Ryan,{Chris R}

Alison

Dec 31, 2017, 3:53:26 PM12/31/17
I’ll go for a Grace’s Warbler at Kelly’s Brook.
Alison

Gene Herzberg

Dec 31, 2017, 6:59:10 PM12/31/17
I continue to hold out for a Painted Bunting this year in Renews

Dave Brown

Dec 31, 2017, 7:07:00 PM12/31/17
I think this is the second time I got lucky with one of these predictions. I think I guessed Least Bittern a couple years ago before the Virginia Lake Bird was found. Maybe that is a sign that I need to get a little more exotic with my prediction.

If this one comes true one birder will be very happy! I predict European Storm Petrel found by Bruce- Grand Banks.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave Brown

Ken Knowles

Dec 31, 2017, 8:26:52 PM12/31/17
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 8:43:52 AM UTC-3:30, Catherine wrote:
I'm hoping for a Vermilion Flycatcher, hopefully a little closer to St. John's than Forteau.

johnlwells

Dec 31, 2017, 8:54:41 PM12/31/17
Yellow-nosed Albatross at the Cape St. Mary's gannetry.

Happy New Year and good birding in 2018!

John Wells

Vernon Buckle

Jan 1, 2018, 12:38:30 AM1/1/18
The bunting family was good to me in 2017, and I’d like to meet more of them. For 2018, I’m looking forward to a visit, and yes, my backyard, from a Lazuli Bunting. It might be more realistic than a Yellowhammer but the gate is open for that one too.

Happy New Year, and good luck everyone!

Vernon

Bill MacKenzie

Jan 1, 2018, 4:52:28 AM1/1/18
I think we'll have a Spotted Redshank at Spaniard's Bay this year.

Bill MacKenzie

ILJones

Jan 1, 2018, 8:05:49 AM1/1/18
I am still holding out for a twitchable Brown Booby somewhere near the Avalon Peninsula and I'm also going to predict a White 'Pied' Wagtail (Motacilla alba alba) at Cape Race. Jeannine says she predicts a bird of paradise sp. somewhere in Witless Bay and a Porg on Great Island. Happy New Year!

ilj &jw

sobhanav...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2018, 9:56:09 AM1/1/18
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/photos/view/1001/birds/31933708

Happy 2018 greetings.

A whiskered Auklet at Cape Spear.

Sobhana V

Howard Clase

Jan 1, 2018, 10:06:54 AM1/1/18
On Sunday, 31 December 2017 08:43:52 UTC-3:30, Catherine wrote:
No luck with the Chaffinch, so this year I'll go for a Brambling - preferably at my feeder.

Jared Clarke

Jan 1, 2018, 2:35:47 PM1/1/18

I'm going to go with a Lark Bunting at Cappahayden, sometime in October.

Happy New Year to one and all!

Jared

AlvanBuckley

Jan 1, 2018, 4:44:19 PM1/1/18
My guess is a Barnacle Goose at Long Pond in April or May :-D

Alvan

brucema...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2018, 5:17:55 PM1/1/18
Lesser Sand Plover - Sometime in May to July @ Renews, Trepassey or Cape Freels.

smitdav...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2018, 8:08:07 PM1/1/18
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 8:43:52 AM UTC-3:30, Catherine wrote:
Vesper Sparrow at that barn across the road from Murphy's Lane, Cappahayden. Time for this one to show up.

Dsmith

Brendan Kelly

Jan 1, 2018, 8:35:05 PM1/1/18
I am hoping for a Greenshank in Renews or wood sandpiper in Cape Broyle

Happy New Year Everyone!

Brendan Kelly

burton...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2018, 7:57:34 AM1/2/18
Painted Redstart in the Glovertown area.

Peter Shelton

Jan 2, 2018, 2:30:47 PM1/2/18
Northern Cardinal, Trepassey, October

John & Ivy Gibbons

Jan 2, 2018, 3:04:42 PM1/2/18
I think (hope) mine will be a California Gull. Ivy is pinning her hopes on something from Europe....European Robin? Yes, Vernon, you will have to come to us this year since they will both show up at Plum Point.

Bhill

Jan 2, 2018, 6:02:28 PM1/2/18
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 8:43:52 AM UTC-3:30, Catherine wrote:
Likewise, I've got the sparrows in the back yard with their bows and arrows so just need the Cock Robin.

lago...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2018, 10:54:59 AM1/4/18
Black-browed Albatross at Cappahayden or Cape Race

Jeff H

Andrea Dicks

Jan 6, 2018, 5:05:16 PM1/6/18
Late to the party as per usual!

A Chuck-will’s-widow in Pippy Park/ Long Pond area would be pretty awesome!

thefunkys...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2018, 12:09:02 PM1/11/18
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 18:35:16 UTC-3:30, Andrea Dicks wrote:
> Late to the party as per usual!
>
> A Chuck-will’s-widow in Pippy Park/ Long Pond area would be pretty awesome!

With that substantial Junco sighting and the plausibility if the Orange band number is retrieved showing a well aged Junco I must pick an Oregon plumaged Junco.Port aux Basques/Codrow Valley/Stephenville.
Message has been deleted