White winged Tern present Sunday

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2015, 9:38:01 AM8/23/15
The White- winged Tern has been making regular visits to Chamberlains Pond since 09:30

M. Ons

Les Sweetapple

Aug 23, 2015, 4:33:25 PM8/23/15
On Sunday, 23 August 2015 11:08:01 UTC-2:30, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> The White- winged Tern has been making regular visits to Chamberlains Pond since 09:30
>
> M. Ons

Today I first saw the white winged tern 2:00PM on the sand bar near the Manuels Yacht Club. Expecting it to soon leave for Chamberlains Pond I headed there. After being at Chamberlains POND FOR 30 MNS. It showed up. Flew around for abt. 5 mins. and headed west. Returned in abt. 45 mins. Again flew around looking for food and then headed towards the marina in Manuels.
Les

Ian Winter

Aug 23, 2015, 7:03:03 PM8/23/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 11:08:01 AM UTC-2:30, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> The White- winged Tern has been making regular visits to Chamberlains Pond since 09:30
>
> M. Ons

Where abouts is the "sand bar" near the Manuels Yacht Club? I have been to the other marina and there were some Terns on the rock breakwater across the channel, but no White-winged.

Les Sweetapple

Aug 23, 2015, 10:23:22 PM8/23/15
Hi Ian,

Sand, gravel or rock bar is the same thing. Take the Greenslades Rd. until you come to Greens LANE . Continue to the end of this rd. and you will see an entrance to your right leading to the Yacht Club. It has been referred to Manuels Yacht Club but it is actually Royal Nfld. Yacht Club. In front of the Club you will see a paved parking lot. Proceed to the docks immediately in front of the Club and see my flickr photos to help you locate these docks. I have been there on several occasions and unfortunately the wing winged tern is located at a long distance across the channel at the far east end of the bar. See the photos.
I find Chamberlains Pond is the best place to see this tern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115556479@N08/

Les

Les Sweetapple

Aug 23, 2015, 11:00:32 PM8/23/15
Correction. Of course it is white winged tern, not wing winged tern. Don't know where these typos come from.
Les

Howard Clase

Aug 24, 2015, 8:29:52 AM8/24/15
Not as bad as my "Wire-winged Black Term" Les. I usually check the main text, but often forget about the subject line. (Actually there was at least one in the text too "it's" where it should have been "its".)

The editing facilities in these Google groups seem to be almost non-existent compared with some of the others I use. We ought to be able to go back and correct these sorts of things - or, if they do exist, I haven't found them yet.

joh...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 8:38:37 AM8/24/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 11:08:01 AM UTC-2:30, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> The White- winged Tern has been making regular visits to Chamberlains Pond since 09:30
>
> M. Ons

I agree with Les - the best viewing is at Chamberlains Pond. A least once in the afternoon the white winged will settle in the water to wash at the northeast corner of the pond. That's where I was able to photograph it just as he alighted from his ablutions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beothic/20768071535/in/dateposted/

Cheers,
j.Williams

Ian Winter

Aug 26, 2015, 10:23:41 AM8/26/15
I was there from 1000 to 1120 today Monday and he was there most of the time. Flew off occasionally, but not for long. Was also visited by a greater yellowlegs and 3 Plovers, then just before I left a small hawk flew by and perched on the roof of the apartments next to the soccer field. An interesting morning for sure.

IW

kidsm...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2015, 4:08:15 PM8/26/15
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 9:38:01 AM UTC-4, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> The White- winged Tern has been making regular visits to Chamberlains Pond since 09:30
>
> M. Ons

The White-winged Tern was flying around Chamberlains Pond on Wednesday, August 26th in the early afternoon. Great bird!

Gord Payne
London, ON