Laughing Gull

Richard Thomas

Aug 15, 2017, 5:34:27 PM8/15/17
At 6 p.m., Brandon Ward and I observed a First Summer Laughing Gull at Long Beach (off the Cape Race Road). We had excellent views of it on the beach and in flight but, after 5 minutes, it flew strongly east (towards Cape Race) and did not return. Frenetic, multi-species shorebird action at the east end of the main beach included: Greater Yellowlegs(1); Ruddy Turnstones (15+); Semipalmated Plovers (20+); Semipalmated Sandpipers (12+); White-rumped Sandpipers (2); and Sanderlings (8). Also, several Whimbrel flew over.

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2017, 6:27:41 PM8/15/17
The "frenetic" shorebird action sounds something like, if not exactly like the action I saw at the east end of Long Beach on Saturday. The birds were gorging on capelin spawn. Spent two hours there sitting on a rock taking pictures. See http://brucemactavish1.blogspot.ca/

Bruce