Cape Spear, Thursday

Ken Knowles

Jan 19, 2017, 10:48:37 AM1/19/17
There was a Sanderling with the Purple Sandpipers this morning at the bill of the Cape. About 60 Kittiwakes flying north in the 45 minutes that I was there. Only three Dovekies. There was a beautiful adult Great Cormorant that already had the full breeding flank patch and the white filigree on the neck. Terry James reports three Redpolls still hanging out in the first group of trees south of the lighthouse on the East Coast Trail.

I saw the Great Black-backed Gull with the bright yellow legs near the Granite and Tile building on White Hills Rd. I photographed this gull last week.

Ken Knowles