Bellevue Beach Friday afternoon

Ed Hayden

Aug 21, 2015, 6:00:44 PM8/21/15
Amazing t-shirt afternoon at Bellevue Beach flats. The Black Tern initially reported by Brendan Kelly and that Allison reported earlier this afternoon flew in to the extreme edge of the flats 30 minutes after we arrived, stayed in one spot for thirty minutes, then left and did not return in the remaining half-hour we were there. As each sandbar rose above the receding tide, it became packed quickly with a great variety of shorebirds flying in. A tally just before we left included 67 Black-bellied Plovers, 42 Ruddy Turnstones, 3 Red Knots (one in classic salmon-coloured breeding plumage), 50 White-rumped Sandpipers landed, took off and landed again in a single flock, 25 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 20 Greater Yellowlegs, a Short-billed Dowitcher and 4 Bonaparte's and a Black-headed Gull. Summer dreams are made of this!

Catherine

Aug 23, 2015, 7:05:48 PM8/23/15
On Friday, 21 August 2015 19:30:44 UTC-2:30, Ed Hayden wrote:
> Amazing t-shirt afternoon at Bellevue Beach flats. The Black Tern initially reported by Brendan Kelly and that Allison reported earlier this afternoon flew in to the extreme edge of the flats 30 minutes after we arrived, stayed in one spot for thirty minutes, then left and did not return in the remaining half-hour we were there. As each sandbar rose above the receding tide, it became packed quickly with a great variety of shorebirds flying in. A tally just before we left included 67 Black-bellied Plovers, 42 Ruddy Turnstones, 3 Red Knots (one in classic salmon-coloured breeding plumage), 50 White-rumped Sandpipers landed, took off and landed again in a single flock, 25 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 20 Greater Yellowlegs, a Short-billed Dowitcher and 4 Bonaparte's and a Black-headed Gull. Summer dreams are made of this!

I went to Bellevue today. It was a gorgeous day with just enough overcast to make for ideal viewing conditions. I didn't see the Black Tern but did see 8 Red Knots (4 in non-breeding/imm plumage and 4 in either full breeding or transitional plumage), 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 3 Sanderling, 1 Dunlin, 2 Bonaparte Gulls & 4 Black-headed Gulls, + the birds you noted above. I was very pleased to finally see a red, Red Knot!

CB