Adult LITTLE GULL - Cape Spear

AlvanBuckley

Apr 22, 2015, 6:15:39 AM4/22/15
Flew north at 715 - more amazing is that I managed to get it on video!!

Someone should check St. John's harbour and Torbay today to see if it or something else is hanging around.

There was an alcid migration too

AB 7:45 am

AlvanBuckley

Apr 22, 2015, 8:36:36 AM4/22/15
Just posted some photos on my blog (www.alvanbuckley.blogspot.ca) - just good enough quality to show that it's not a Ross's Gull! :p

A light alcid migration is what stole my attention from searching the barrens for passerines.
200+ guillemots, 8 Common Murres, 1 Razorbill, 15 Thick-billed Murres, and 1 WW Scoter flew North in about 15 minutes of watching. Then I noticed a small gull/tern about 500m offshore - quickly got my scope on it and noticed the dark underwings making me think I might have a Ross's Gull!! The black hood and unmarked upper wings easily ruled that out and confirmed that it was a Little Gull.

AB

Jared Clarke

Apr 22, 2015, 8:44:10 AM4/22/15
Awesome bird! Yet again, your persistence pays off!

ILJones

Apr 23, 2015, 3:19:20 PM4/23/15
WOW - well done!