Winter Listing Southern Shore - HERMIT WARBLER, WW Dove, no tern, Prairie Warbler

brucema...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2016, 6:10:49 PM12/1/16
Had to get that Mobile HERMIT WARBLER for the winter list. Had to wait for enough daylight to start looking. took 1hour 10minutes to find it. It was with 3 kinglets and 2 Boreal Chickadees on the dirt track leading off Lower Road. 45 second view. Looked totally chipper and at home in the firs.

WHITE-WINGED DOVE - Renews
I drove up to Clara's feeder which was alive with Blue Jays and juncos. Too many Blue Jays for a dove I figured. Spotted the White-winged Dove sitting quietly in a birch tree on the end of Clara's house. It sat there for 15 minutes. I waited in the car for it to come to the feeder but while texting someone it vanished. Texting while birding should almost be illegal but it is becoming an integral part of keeping on top of things.

The Forsters Tern at Trepassey was not in sight when I arrived at 2:30 pm. Didn't have much time to look but I Scanned everywhere with scope. No swell coming into beach to stir things up. No gulls on beach either. Where will it turn up next> St Shotts. St Vincents.

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

PRAIRIE WARBLER - 1 Tors Cove. Bright bird with dull side streaking with a large junco flock in willow patch near house with the feeder by the tall spruce tree.

Common Gull - 1 adult at Ferryland, resting with 100 big gulls on the "Purple Sandpiper Rocks" in the harbour. Rare to see them outside of the usual locations.

Black-bellied Plover & Ruddy Turnstone duo at Ferryland - heard about them first from AB & AM.

Killdeer - Trepassey on last lawn on left before Lower Coast seawall - present several days.

BISCAY BAY - serious scanning for Horned Grebe but none but saw 10 Red throated Loons, 20+ Common Loons, 3 Red-necked Grebes. Most birds in outer parts of bay not visible from townsite. Best viewing from highway on east side of bay.

RENEWS- Banded Iceland Gull
An unusually large flock of 175 gulls resting on the rocks near the Metal Xmas tree. Among them a banded adult Iceland Gull. A yellow band typical of those used in St. John's. Unfortunately a passing eagle flushed the whole flock before I got the scope on them to read the band.