Pagophila - Notre Dame Bay

prn...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 8:11:20 PM1/16/18
Report of Ivory Gull, rescued from mobbing crows, Monday at New World Island. Adult plumage, apparently uninjured, but weak. Overnighting St. J now; perking up a little w/ moose treats.

It's that time to keep an eye for ghostly visitors.

My guess for 2018 rarity is Short-tailed Shearwater. Stranger things happen.

brucema...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 8:20:13 AM1/17/18
Short-tailed Shearwater is not a totally outlandish guess. One was seen and photographed a couple of times from shore at Cape Cod, Massachusetts in October 2017. After hearing about that I went back through my Sooty Shearwater pictures from summer 2017 on the Avalon to see if I might have accidentally photographed one. Nope. It will not be easy to find and it will have to be photographed.

BM

David Shepherd

Jan 17, 2018, 10:24:15 PM1/17/18
No fair!

I use a species code (correctly) immediately after 2 posts with the full name spelled out and I get a bollocking. Pierre use a scientific generic name and gets away scot-free!

Please explain.

DS

brucema...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2018, 11:03:28 AM1/18/18