***** PACIFIC GOLDEN PLOVER ***** Pt Lahye

brucema...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 8:54:02 AM12/5/16
Came in and landed on tundra between light house and Point very still for 40 minutes then statstarted walking around a bit picking at frozen berries. Left it about 20 m from where we first saw it. Very camouflaged on ground. DO Not FLUSH I saw underwing coverts when it flew in. Many good photos of bird on the ground. 99% sure of ID. photos will confirm ID. Will be out of cell range once we leave Pt LaHaye. Please spread the word.
Over at PT LAHAYE.
KK
BM

Vernon Buckle

Dec 5, 2016, 1:01:17 PM12/5/16
Arrived at 12:00, just ahead of Paul Linegar. About 1:25 we located the bird halfway along the sandbar between the pond and the ocean, 1km from reported area. Did not flush! It was there when we left about 2:10. Keep on the quad trail. Location is marked with a small arrow.

PL
VB

Alison

Dec 5, 2016, 1:46:10 PM12/5/16
The bird is now 20ft left of the arrow (nearer the lighthouse) and moving slowly left. I also did not flush it. :-)

Alison

brucema...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2016, 5:47:48 PM12/5/16
Pictures of the Pt La Haye golden plover can be found on my

blog.http://brucemactavish1.blogspot.ca/

Waiting to hear from some shorebird experts to confirm this is indeed a Pacific Golden Plover.

B Mactavish

edhayde...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2016, 4:38:37 PM12/6/16
Shawn and I walked the full length of the beach for an hour and found nothing but when we returned to the cars parked between the bathroom and Point La Haye Pond, we were talking with Colleen and Fred Wood when Colleen said, 'Hey, there's a bird.' There on a small patch of grass nearby, the Pacific Golden Plover strolled around in very cold wind, drawing up first one leg to its belly and then the other. What a grand bird --the cap, the back brilliant -- just 15 feet away as we stood beside the car and gaped.

At Eastern Point, St. Shotts, as we walked slowly downhill towards Ken's Cabbages, still in search of the Grasshopper, a grey bird flew out of the back garden, flew low over the back fence and dropped down over the barren out of sight and we were unable to relocate it: grey upperparts with no discernable markings; long narrow, pointed wings; larger than a sparrow, smaller than a snipe.

Two Harlequin Ducks near the small eider flock. No hooded merg at St. Mary's Harbour Pond this morning.

Frank KING

Dec 6, 2016, 5:10:18 PM12/6/16
Heather and I travelled to Point La Haye to have a look for the golden plover. We spent an hour in the morning and returned for another hour in the late afternoon. No luck in locating the plover. We should have stayed in the morning.

We travelled as far as Portugal Cove South when we picked up the message about the find and returned for the second look. The day was still well worth the trip. At St. Shott's we saw the birds outlined by Ed H. and we can help with the mystery bird seen in Ken's Cabbages. It was a MOURNING DOVE, which I photographed as well.

Frank KING

Dec 7, 2016, 8:55:37 AM12/7/16
Plover in picnic parking lot in the large patch of grass between the upper and lower parking lot. It seems to stay in that tall grass for shelter. Did not flush and I was able to see it at 20 feet. 10am

brucema...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2016, 9:21:55 AM12/7/16
Great that the plover is still there. Next time someone goes down there they should get some of those dehydrated meal worms (at Walmart?) and spread them in the grassy area that Frank is talking about.

B Mactavish

Frank KING

Dec 7, 2016, 4:45:44 PM12/7/16
I have published an aerial view of the picnic area at Point La Haye and marked the area where I photographed the Pacific Golden Plover. It does not appear to be stressed and moved around the tall grass below the parking lot with the small boardwalk. It than walked along the edge of the road leading to the lighthouse. It seems to be staying in this area. I have put the photos in Flickr at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/albums/72157673565838824
Message has been deleted

Randy Wabush

Dec 7, 2016, 5:10:49 PM12/7/16
Still in the parking lot at 4pm today when I left

Les Sweetapple

Dec 8, 2016, 9:27:33 AM12/8/16
The Pacific golden plover was near the parking lot at abt. 9:30 this am.
Ethel and I had good views of this bird.
Les

rcri...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 11:30:39 AM12/8/16
As of 12:30 pm the bird is still in Pt La Haye. It was walking along the edge of the pond near the parking lot. (Dec 8)

rcri...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 11:45:16 AM12/8/16
I have some dried mealworms that I will bring down this afternoon!

Tony L.

Dec 8, 2016, 2:51:20 PM12/8/16
On Thursday, 8 December 2016 13:15:16 UTC-3:30, rcri...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have some dried mealworms that I will bring down this afternoon!

Perhaps you should soak the mealworms in water for half an hour so that they won't blow away in the wind -- unless the forecast calls for light winds and rain.

David Shepherd

Dec 8, 2016, 11:17:01 PM12/8/16
Tundra?