male HOODED WARBLER offshore

brucema...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2016, 4:37:14 PM9/23/16
struggling with internet here so praying this goes.

At 1300 I was in a supply boat off loading cargo on to HIbernia. there was a Savannah Sparrow, Red-breasted Nuthatch and American Pipit on the cement platform of Hibernia. No change until 1500 when BANG a stonking male HOODED WARBLER was suddenly there. This began a mini fallout of birds over the next two hours as bird suddenly appeared on my boat and or the Hibernia platform.

TOTAL DROP INS (one each)
HOODED WARBLLER
Ovenbird
Tennessee Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
White-throated Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco.

The wind had be calm with an overcast sky but as the wind shifted to SW and clearing is exactly when the birds began appearing like magic. What happens out here 350 km due east of Renews is probably BETTER on the southern Avalon right now. I know where I'd be going Saturday morning if I was on land. What is a little rain? Bright yellows and mossy green backs glow in the rain.

B Mactavish (Grand Banks)