Port-aux-Basques - Week 5

AlvanBuckley

Nov 22, 2015, 5:59:26 PM11/22/15
This weekend I birded between Cape Ray & Stephenville, and did a hike up Blow Me Down Mountain (near Corner Brook). I also visited the tiny community of La Poile on Thursday, it's half way between Port-aux-Basques and Burgeo, and only accessible by boat or helicopter.

Here are the new birds since I've been here:
SUMMER TANAGER - 1 the adult male previously reported. A stunning bird!
Atlantic Puffin - 2
Rock Ptarmigan - 2 near top of Blow Me Down Mtn.

Other Highlights:
Barrow's Goldeneye - 1 at the Corner Brook at sewage outlet
White-winged Crossbill - over 100 this weekend

-Alvan

darroch....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2015, 6:05:10 AM11/23/15
Wow, great that you bagged some Rock ptarmigan - we have far too few sightings from outside of Gros Morne.

Was out Saturday and Sunday here in Gros Morne too, and also noticed a pulse of White-winged Crossbills - lots of small flocks of 15 or fewer, plus similar numbers of redpolls and some Pine Grosbeaks cashing in on the bumper spruce cone crop.

Darroch