Long Pond

AlvanBuckley

Apr 14, 2014, 9:14:40 AM4/14/14
Visited Long Pond this morning and yesterday morning as well.
4+ Fox Sparrows singing both days on the North side, Golden-crowned Kinglet singing this morning, Brown Creeper yesterday, and a Belted Kingfisher today (which was my first one since Jan 2nd!) - has anyone else seen kingfishers recently? Usually there's a few that overwinter on Rennies river, but not this year as far as I know...
The usual assortment of diving ducks and both species of wigeon as well.

AB

Karen C

Apr 14, 2014, 9:27:51 AM4/14/14
Just got back from Long Pond - 6 cormorants on the ice along with lots of scaup and tufted ducks.

Brad James

Apr 14, 2014, 12:04:24 PM4/14/14
I've noticed the same thing with the Kingfishers this year as well Alvan. There is usually one on Pond Road next to my house and one at Conway Brook but all winter they have been absent. Maybe due to the fact that both locations had been pretty much frozen over alot of the winter unlike most years.

Jared Clarke

Apr 14, 2014, 12:31:01 PM4/14/14
There was a Belted Kingfisher sitting on the wires of the Rennies River near the Prince Phillip Drive/Allendale Rd intersection on Saturday.

Jared

btes...@bellaliant.net

Apr 15, 2014, 7:33:50 AM4/15/14
We3 saw a Kingfisher at Topsail Beach Sunday morning.