Snow bunting reports

darroch....@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2014, 6:14:26 AM4/16/14
I've been hoping to band migrating snow buntings in Gros Morne again this spring but it seems like they may have skipped over my area again this spring. I have been getting some reports that migration is well underway though. I have seen a handful fly overhead here in Rocky Harbour, and Shawn Gerrow reported that they were "everywhere" driving north on the Northern Peninsula to St. Anthony last weekend, starting around Daniels Harbour. Also heard a report that they had arrived in Lab city over the past 2-3 days, and Tom Sheldon tells me that he saw his first ones in Nain yesterday.

Darroch

Shawn

Apr 16, 2014, 4:18:29 PM4/16/14
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:44:26 AM UTC-2:30, darroch....@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been hoping to band migrating snow buntings in Gros Morne again this spring but it seems like they may have skipped over my area again this spring. I have been getting some reports that migration is well underway though. I have seen a handful fly overhead here in Rocky Harbour, and Shawn Gerrow reported that they were "everywhere" driving north on the Northern Peninsula to St. Anthony last weekend, starting around Daniels Harbour. Also heard a report that they had arrived in Lab city over the past 2-3 days, and Tom Sheldon tells me that he saw his first ones in Nain yesterday.
>

> Darroch

Hi Darroch

Not sure what direction they're headed in, (with the weather we've had this you, you never know), but I saw half a dozen up on Cape Spear earlier this week, and at least one being very vocal just off the highway.

Shawn

darroch....@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2014, 11:42:16 AM4/16/14
Just had another report from Nain - apparently there are "tons everywhere" this morning...

rwil...@hotmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 9:43:27 AM4/21/14
On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:12:16 PM UTC-2:30, darroch....@gmail.com wrote:
> Just had another report from Nain - apparently there are "tons everywhere" this morning...

Saw 2 dozen at Windmill Bight Park, Lumsden this morning. Where would these be going? Labrador, Greenland???
Roger

David Shepherd

Apr 21, 2014, 7:36:13 PM4/21/14
From banding recovery data from Canadian winter birds, almost certainly Greenland.