Saving our Wetlands in the Province

Les Sweetapple

Aug 14, 2017, 8:04:51 AM8/14/17
There is a good article in todays paper, The Telegram, by Judy Gibson regarding saving our wetlands in the Province. With the local city elections coming soon she highlights the importance of asking the candidates where they stand on wetlands, development.
I recently visited our Lundrigan's Marsh and noticed still a lot of industrial development taking place around this area. It would be shameful if this important wetland area is destroyed. It has a diversity of waterfowl and birds that use it to feed and breed. Sometimes it attracts rare and not too common birds.

I noticed that the path from E. White Hills Rd. to the look out area is now widened and groomed. Thank you to those responsible for this.
Les

samcons...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2017, 2:46:02 PM8/16/17
Hi Les, great comments about Lundrigan's Marsh. You might be interested in the current project around that area as you noticed part of it already:

http://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/2017/7/10/study-planned-for-industrial-area-marsh.html

(project #2)
http://www.naacap.ca/site/projects/current-projects/

Lundrigan's Marsh is protected by the city through an agreement with the province's Wildlife Division and an organization called SAM, but as you state industrial activities continue right near by. So, this project aims to help that by engaging landowners so that they can use responsible practices, among other things.

Thanks,
Laura
Conservation Biologist, SAM

Les Sweetapple

Aug 16, 2017, 5:39:39 PM8/16/17
Thanks Laura for the update. I was aware of some things related to this area but you provided a lot of info I was not aware of. It was good news to know things are in progress to conserve and enhance this important wetland area.
A big thank you to all who are involved.
Les