Goulds back roads - June 18, 2016 - Northern Harriers, Pine Grosbeaks, Common Yellowthroat, Magnolia Warblers

Frank KING

Jun 18, 2016, 3:08:50 PM6/18/16
Visited Power's Road early this morning to have a look for the Mourning Warbler. No luck. It was so cold that I didn't expect to find many birds. There were a good number of American Goldfinch, Purple Finch, and a couple of American Redstarts, along with the usual birds for that area.

I ventured up the road along Raymond's Brook and up to the back fields. It was still a little foggy with light drizzle. I found 3 Northern Harriers flying low over the fields, looking for prey. Two were female and one was an adult male. I also found a pair of Pine Grosbeaks feeding on dandelion seeds.

On the road north of Big Northern Pond, past the road to the back entrance of the chicken farm, and heading east towards Cochrane Pond, I was able to relocate the Common Yellowthroat. It remained in the exact same location over the past three days. I checked around to see if there were others, but it seems there is only the one. I assume there could be a female that is nesting.

ID Photos at Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/126304632@N05/albums/72157669836510446

joh...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 10:06:37 AM6/20/16
Frank, are you able to give GPS coordinates for the yellowthroat ? For the life of me,I can't follow your directions looking at the maze of roads around the chicken farm which is several buildings. Cheers, John

Frank KING

Jun 20, 2016, 10:46:57 AM6/20/16
The GPS coordinates are listed in the Show EXIF of each photo. Here is a copy of the GPS info:

GPS Version ID - 2.2.0.0
GPS Latitude Ref - North
GPS Latitude - 47 deg 27' 16.18"
GPS Longitude Ref - West
GPS Longitude - 52 deg 51' 26.96"
GPS Altitude - 175.1 m

Good Luck.

I was out there this morning but no Common Yellowthroat. In fact very few birds. It might be to do with the time of day (11am) and the warm temperature ( 24C)