Birding Southern Shore October 5-2015: Keith Fillier

vince...@nl.rogers.com

Oct 6, 2015, 8:57:48 AM10/6/15
Today Les Sweetapple and I birded the Southern Shore between Cape Broyle and Trepassey. There is no doubt that the birds have thinned out, and few in numbers.

Our highlight of the day was seeing a juvenile first fall Northern Parula and a White-winged Dove on the Loop Road past Cappahayden....there are cabins along the road and a pond at the far end. Not certain of the correct name of the pond or road. The Dove was near the beginning of road and the Paraula half way along this same road.

At Bears Cove Pit- I saw two large, deep cadmiun yellow bellied birds with dark tails, fly overhead, but no other positive ID-able details, other than these birds where too large to be warblers. One may consider Yellow-breasted Chat, the scale would fit. To my eye the deep cadmium yellow covered the vent. The tail looked long and very dark to black. I had a good look with my binoculars, but cannot provide more supporting details for positive ID..

Les also reports a warbler with a lot of yellow in the belly at same pit, but he was unable to get distuinging details, and the bird was in dense alder and growth.

There where a few Yellow Rumps, all juvenile/fall birds and I counted about six in scattered locations. We saw a few first fall juvenile White Throated Sparrow, and mostly juvenile first fall Swamp Sparrows. I noted only a few American Robins. I am not certain I even saw a savanah....possibly one.

Boreal Chick-a-Dee activity was strong in several areas, along with some Golden-crowned Kinglets. In places large numberds of Blue Jays where seen.

Shore bird populations are dipping sharply, with mostly a few greater and three Lesser Yellow legs at Renews, and several immature fall Black-bellied Plovers. Only one Black-bellied Plover seen in Trepassey, with six maybe seven Semi-palamated Plover.

We experienced high tide conditions throughout the day.

These was a Merlin in Renews and two other Sharp-shinned hawks one in the pit at Bears Cove.

There where many other common birds. But, generally very quiet at most places.

It was a perfect day with low winds, and at times a few rolling clouds helped filter strong sunlight.

Sincerely,

LS
KF

brucema...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2015, 9:44:02 AM10/6/15
WHITE-WINGED DOVE! This is major rarity worthy of more than a casual mention in the account of your day. Any more details? Any pictures?

B Mactavish

lancy cheng

Oct 6, 2015, 10:24:13 AM10/6/15
Is today today or yesterday?

vince...@nl.rogers.com

Oct 6, 2015, 10:36:41 AM10/6/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 11:14:02 AM UTC-2:30, brucema...@gmail.com wrote:
> WHITE-WINGED DOVE! This is major rarity worthy of more than a casual mention in the account of your day. Any more details? Any pictures?
>
> B Mactavish

No photo....but, I did have an excellent view of the crescent band of the tail edge, fanned....when the bird pitched behind the van...with binoculars. I did note the tail looked darker relatively to Morning Dove. There was absolutely no V-shape in the tail to suggest Mourning Dove. I was very close to where the bird flushed and pitched. The view of tail and cresent band was absolute. Alvin said that was it possible it was Mourning Dove with missing tail feathers. NO...I had a very good look at the full tail band, broudly fanned....it appeared evenly uniform and crescent shaped. The bird was very evasive....fast....and bright sunlight prevented me from gathering more information. I did see it in flight and it had the DOVE shape. I have researched for comparison images, and I can positively report based on tail cresent edge it was a White-winged Dove. My remarks to Les who was with me yesterday, are consistant to material that I was able to research when returning home last night, and again this morning.

I certainly would not report this otherwise...I instantly knew when looking at the fanned crescent tail edge it was not a Mourning Dove.....and photos and Illustrations are consistent with the bird I saw yesterday.

There is 100% accuracy based on observed detail and this bird.

Sorry I did not know it was a major rarity to our region. I read it has become an urban dweller in many southern US cities. But, we had one in 2010....and I saw that bird.

If I have positive visual detail and information relative to birds I see, I will post this information, so that others can read about what I have seen. Photo or no photo. It was a White-winged Dove. ABSOLUTELY.

Keith Fillier

vince...@nl.rogers.com

Oct 6, 2015, 10:43:11 AM10/6/15
On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 11:54:13 AM UTC-2:30, lancy cheng wrote:
> Is today today or yesterday?

Dear Lancy,

If you read the in my title: Southern Shore October 5 2015...you should have no problem realizing that today was yesterday October 5, 2015.

Thank-you for proof reading my report.
I am hopeful other readers are not so confused.

Cheers,

Keith

lancy cheng

Oct 6, 2015, 11:09:58 AM10/6/15
Dear Keith,
Thank you for clerifying it. Forgive me that I don't have a habit of writing posts and posting the other day or writing past tense in present.
Cheers,
Lancy