European Herring gull, QV, Wen

lancy cheng

Jan 17, 2018, 8:38:08 PM1/17/18
It's not something to contribute to winter list/life list/yearly list thus not as attractive as Ivory/Slaty-backed/Yellow-legged/Kelp Gull. This gull was first sighted by Virginia river on Jan-04-2018 from a distance. I had listed it as Gull sp. as I wasn't sure about its ID. Only suspicious.
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S41633211
It was re-located today at the west end and IDable photos were obtained:
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S42004656
If you are interested, look for a first cycle Herring type gull with small size. The size is not a field mark for European Herring but for this specific bird. It's smaller than large Kumlien's but larger than the smallest ones. It's smaller than all Herring gulls present today. The color is overall brown and paler than a typical late first cycle American Herring Gull (there are several of those hanging around). Tail pattern is important for ID.
LC

Jared Clarke

Jan 17, 2018, 8:48:39 PM1/17/18
Very cool! I may have seen this gull just over a week ago but lost it in a flush before getting halfway to identifying it. Your determinations with the gulls has paid off again!

lancy cheng

Jan 18, 2018, 10:24:58 AM1/18/18
Thanks, Jared! We probably saw the same bird. Hope it stick around for the gull workshop in February :)

lancy cheng

Jan 31, 2018, 11:10:22 PM1/31/18
Update on ID of this gull:
I posted this gull to two FB groups, one of North America and one of Europe. There were lots of discussions going on about this gull.
1. It would pass the ID test as European Herring Gull IF IT WAS SEEN IN EUROPE.
2. It's features are not typical on either side of the pond, although not unseen.
3. There are some misplaced feathers of the tail, which is generally an European type.
4. A wild guess (not mine): Iceland x Herring hybrid. This type of hybrid has never been documented before, although, you can find the option on eBird...
It was seen again on Jan 29th. It was making long calls, which made me start to believe the wild guess in my illusion.