Old Gander townsite - Philadelphia Vireo

Barry Day

Jun 11, 2016, 6:21:55 PM6/11/16
This morning at the old townsite near the airport, a Philadelphia Vireo singing in an area of tall birches. I could only get fleeting glimpses among the leaves but I think the recording is convincing.

http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S30178604

darroch....@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2016, 7:30:09 AM6/12/16
Had a singing Philadelphia Vireo at the Gros Morne Mountain Tailhead this morning too. I've had pretty good evidence of breeding at the same spot in past (i.e. a courting pair).

Darroch
Rocky Harbour

Vernon Buckle

Jun 12, 2016, 11:53:20 AM6/12/16
On Saturday, 11 June 2016 19:51:55 UTC-2:30, Barry Day wrote:
> This morning at the old townsite near the airport, a Philadelphia Vireo singing in an area of tall birches. I could only get fleeting glimpses among the leaves but I think the recording is convincing.
>
> http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S30178604

Early yesterday morning I had a singing vireo at Capstan Island but wasn't sure about ID. After reviewing recording and observing sound graph, my ears believe it to be a Philadelphia Vireo. Gaps between each note are about one second longer than the similar sounding Red-eyed Vireo. Comments from Vireo aficionados are much welcomed.

Vernon Buckle

Jun 12, 2016, 12:01:00 PM6/12/16
On Saturday, 11 June 2016 19:51:55 UTC-2:30, Barry Day wrote:
> This morning at the old townsite near the airport, a Philadelphia Vireo singing in an area of tall birches. I could only get fleeting glimpses among the leaves but I think the recording is convincing.
>
> http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S30178604

And my ebird link is: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30172107

brucema...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 5:18:49 AM6/17/16
Vernon

I just listened to your vireo recording and agree that it is a Philadelphia. It is high pitched, short upslurred (happy) phrases, long pauses between.

In the lower Churchill River valley, particularly around Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Philadelphia Vireos are very regular in small but relatively good numbers for this species always in low densities where it breeds.

B Mactavish (at sea)

JBlakeley

Jun 17, 2016, 8:08:02 AM6/17/16
There was one there at the trailhead last year same time.
JB