Orange-crowned warbler and Gadwall

AlvanBuckley

Jan 14, 2018, 9:58:27 AM1/14/18
The warbler was in the same location as described by Gerard. It was in the first bushes as you go up stream from Kingsbridge Road. The bushes have white berries and Japanese knotweed are mixed in.

Also saw the male Gadwall at the west end of Quidi vidi lake around 1030.

AB

jwee...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2018, 1:55:31 PM1/14/18
Orange crowned seen in backyards of houses (seafoam green, cream, and white) near tennis court downstream from Portugal Cove Rd. at 1515 along with a few Black Capped Chickadees and Juncos. Feeding on flies in bushes.

JW for MB

Shawn

Jan 14, 2018, 2:25:33 PM1/14/18
Musing.... I wonder what the likelihood of it being the same "brightly coloured" OCWA that I had seen periodically up at my suet feeder until late autumn.

SF

AlvanBuckley

Jan 14, 2018, 2:39:00 PM1/14/18
Hey Shawn,

Good question considering that the original observer thought it may be a Yellow Warbler. This OCWA looked like a "typical" individual to me, I don't have photos of it though.

AB

Shawn

Jan 14, 2018, 3:01:44 PM1/14/18
Thanks, Alvan. There were, of course, enough of the darker OCWA's around this past fall for it to be equally either of them too. The one Near St. Pats Mercy Home was/is certainly not too far from there.

SF

mpa...@mun.ca

Jan 17, 2018, 9:18:50 AM1/17/18
On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 11:28:27 AM UTC-3:30, AlvanBuckley wrote:
This morning at 10 am the warbler was opposite the viewing platform in the same stretch of river.With a few BC Chickadees.