highly probable Yellow-legged Gull at Quidi Vidi Lake

brucema...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 10:05:59 AM8/25/15
There has been three sightings of a highly probable Yellow-legged Gull at the Quidi Vidi Lake ball fields in the last week - 18 Aug (BM), 23 Aug (A Buckley) & 25 Aug (A. Buckley & BM).

The bird will likely be around for the fall and will gradually start looking better as it grows some new feathers. It is in a heavy moult now. These two ball fields have been regular haunts of visiting Yellow-legged Gulls in late summer and fall in the past. Best to look from car so you won't flush the birds. Some pictures from this morning at this site.

http://brucemactavish1.blogspot.ca/

B Mactavish

lancy cheng

Aug 30, 2015, 5:31:53 PM8/30/15
Same bird, same location, Sun, 9:15am. Photo taken and confirmed by Alvan. A similar gull was found on a nearby roof shortly after it was flushed from the field but I couldn't be sure (long distance, harsh light, bird sleeping).
Lancy

kidsm...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2015, 7:13:16 PM8/30/15
I spent four mornings looking for this bird. I finally saw it this morning (Sunday) at 0745 on one of the ball fields. I spent about 15 minutes scoping this bird and it seemed identical to the bird pictured on Bruce Mactavish's blog.

Yesterday, I saw a similar gull on a nearby rooftop around 0800. I was not convinced it was the same bird because even at a great distance, it looked too small. I concluded that it was a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Gord Payne, London, ON